Port D Report - Sturgeon

steelshady

Fishing was slow yesterday at Port, I will try today again fishing the west side of the dam bouncing a jig.  Did see a guy land a small sturgeon and one jumped! Lucky for him that I was there to inform him it's a sturgeon and that the season is closed all year, fish was released otherwise there would be MNR on site lol. 

Sturgeon 2.jpg

Sturgeon1.jpg

Crazy, they're on my bucket list for sure. I've only seen one in the wild while portaging moon falls in georgian bay one year, the thing jumped about 4 feet in the air, I was about fifty yards or so away, it was amazing to see. Also good on ya to make sure other anglers know these fish are closed here, no need for things to get messy for anyone.

The last one I hooked there decided it wanted to go north bound to visit T.O.  I was almost spooled out when the hook let go as it bent the hook straight . 

And they are high jumpers and strong fighters !

....dug this old pic. which was doctored up to hide background .It took a minnow and jumped twice ...great looking fish ! 

Sturgeon.JPG

5 hours ago, steelshady said:

Fishing was slow yesterday at Port, I will try today again fishing the west side of the dam bouncing a jig.  Did see a guy land a small sturgeon and one jumped! Lucky for him that I was there to inform him it's a sturgeon and that the season is closed all year, fish was released otherwise there would be MNR on site lol. 

Sturgeon 2.jpg

Sturgeon1.jpg

Glad you were there. I’m sure that fish would’ve went home. 
nice catch though

Yes a very good thing you were there. My guess is no fishing license either.  Gotta love it. He doesn’t know the rules, keeps everything that swims in or out of season!  Maybe the Ministry should start testing all of us every 5 years on fish species, opening season for freshwater fish, fish limits etc…..  Education is vital

On 6/8/2023 at 12:54 PM, deetch said:

Yes a very good thing you were there. My guess is no fishing license either.  Gotta love it. He doesn’t know the rules, keeps everything that swims in or out of season!  Maybe the Ministry should start testing all of us every 5 years on fish species, opening season for freshwater fish, fish limits etc…..  Education is vital

Germany is the only place I know they have todo an exam for a fishing license.