jordan salmon

Guest teapartyfan

Guest bigfish1965

The water has been running down 20 Mile Valley all summer so I don't doubt it will be an early run. Some rivers in NY already have seen small runs. The browns that stage at the mouth there are absolutely HUGE!!

Guest teapartyfan
The water has been running down 20 Mile Valley all summer so I don't doubt it will be an early run. Some rivers in NY already have seen small runs. The browns that stage at the mouth there are absolutely HUGE!!

277[/snapback]

thx bigfish my husband and I were curious we both use this user name. we have seen ALOT of flocking geese. we have never gone for the browns mostly the salmon but it may be a nice change

Guest chilli

Sorry but I beg to differ. I don't think it has everything to do with water temps or flows although those are probably factors. These are atlantic salmon are they not? The runs as I understand are guided more by taste than other factors. As you see, despite all the cool temps and rain, the leaves have not yet been tricked into turning colours or falling. Other plants such as water plants and algea may have been affected somewhat by the temps. With the amount of silt washing down, and the water clarity as bad as it is, I'm guessing a slightly earlier run. However the regular season approaches quickly so it can't be too much earlier. I've heard of salmon at night as early as the first week of September while they are still catching them deep in the lake.

So I'd say the earlier you commit to hunting them down, the better your chances of seeing early salmon.

Bigfish. Did you not see glowies on the pier at night already? And those that were caught already across the lake. They were getting dark already. Were they not caught in the stream? ;) The Niagara and PD are generally before Jordan by about how much would you guess?

that's an interesting way to look at it chilli...

i'm still gonna side with the depth/temp. theory.... only because i've never fished PD or Niagara for salmon/browns. I do however fish Jordan for both and it's only afer 4 or 5 steady rains and cooler temps do they come in.... i find that the further into the fall we get with warmer temps and less rain the small the run is at Jordan.... cool temp and high waters earlier in the year usually mean a nice long run.... now the old canal, well, that's a whole different story, the run usually starts a bit after PD but before Jordan.... maybe 'cause it's "controlled" ;)

it's a curious topic tho 'cause when the water level goes up the water colours change in the mouth of the river.... i don't know if we could ever say for sure...

the cooler temps and lots of rain is definately an easier signal to the fishing tho :lol:

Thanks chilli, never ever thought about what you're saying before... interesting indeed... definately gonna have to read up on it :)

oh and typically, the run has started towards the end of Sept./1st of Oct in Jordan... the last couple years have been different tho i've noticed :dunno:

Guest bigfish1965
Sorry but I beg to differ. I don't think it has everything to do with water temps or flows although those are probably factors. These are atlantic salmon are they not? The runs as I understand are guided more by taste than other factors. As you see, despite all the cool temps and rain, the leaves have not yet been tricked into turning colours or falling. Other plants such as water plants and algea may have been affected somewhat by the temps. With the amount of silt washing down, and the water clarity as bad as it is, I'm guessing a slightly earlier run. However the regular season approaches quickly so it can't be too much earlier. I've heard of salmon at night as early as the first week of September while they are still catching them deep in the lake.

So I'd say the earlier you commit to hunting them down, the better your chances of seeing early salmon.

Bigfish. Did you not see glowies on the pier at night already? And those that were caught already across the lake. They were getting dark already. Were they not caught in the stream? ;)  The Niagara and PD are generally before Jordan by about how much would you guess?

296[/snapback]

Chinooks and Coho's are Pacific salmon. I believe they run according to temperature of the water. The first warm summer of their sexual maturity causes milt and roe to form. As the water temerature decreases, they begin to follow their instincts to propogate. I doubt that scent plays a role other than which river to run to. The Niagara would smell the same in September as it does in August and the smell would change form year to year depending on the things you mentioned.

Niagara's runs are usuaully earlier becuase of the water temperatures. If you look at the temp changes from satellite, you will see Niagara switching faster due to the influence of the river. This end warms quicker and cools faster.

Guest chilli

I watched a documentary on the Pacifis salmon that claimed that scent or taste plays a role in locating their original spawning bed. It is said that some fish spawn lower in the stream but others go further up stream following either scent or taste and locate the spawning bed where they were hatched. To prove this theory, they brought some spawn and milt above a barrier that the salmon could not jump and they were hatched there. Then they were tagged at a certain stage then released. They then caught fish that were trying to jump the barrier some years later, I believe 4. I'm not sure but I believe they were only keeping ones that were jumping to a greater hieght. A high percentage of the fish they caught were tagged. Now it's been some years since I watched the documentary so my recollection of details is vague, but it did seem as though the fish were determined to go to the exact spot where they were hatched in order to spawn.

;) I for one think this is sick. I know I wouldn't look for the old studebaker I was concieved in to hump up a kid! :dunno:

As for the leaves on the trees point. I understand it has more to do with the amount of daylight hours. That's why the leaves can't be tricked by temps and rain. Also, my chili peppers are ready and it's really early. They are usually picked in september and I've eaten plenty already :lol::):D

Guest teapartyfan
We caught a very dark 24# king yesterday. All of the other kings have been silver.

312[/snapback]

whereabouts did you catch the king. was it in the harbor or further down at the bailey's bridge area. we usually go to the bridge but this year we do have access to a boat so the salmon hunt is sure to be on soon. ;) I usually like to go down to the bridge because we can take our kids down there and teach them the proper way to catch and release. we never keep unless we injure them. we also don't take the roe usually. we have seen some pretty sick stuff down there by people that do not know how to properly get the roe. we want to make sure there is plenty of salmon left for our kids as they get older.

Guest chilli

Begin rant"edit"end rant

That documentary on salmon I watched, I remembered how they collected the fish jumping back up the barrier. They built a fish ladder. This was the interesting proof on how fish find their original spawning beds. Not many untagged salmon even tried to climb the ladder because they had already found their birthplace. The tagged fish which were spawned above the barrier somehow knew to keep going and were trapped at the top of the ladder and evaluated before being released.

I love that edit button.

Archived