Got it

Dan Andrews

Well I just got my first hunting licence today. Finished up the firearms/hunter safety coarse Sunday up at John Kellaways. Dropped in to Service Ontario for the card then Erie Trackers to sight up the cross bow. Now all I need is a better bow because I was told my 100 pound Barnett will probaly have to come within 20 yards to kill.

Was nice to see the "hunting is ethical" included right in the literature though.

Looking forward to the challenges of learning ahead and some meat in the freezer.

Congratulations on getting your hunting license Chilli. The hunting community needs more hunters like you. Now get out and enjoy the outdoors and fill your tag! BTW remember this week is a controlled hunt in a lot of wmu's

John

Thanks John.

I have always spent more time in the bush then the shoreline. Apparenly according to the definition of hunting, I've been doing so without a weapon for years.

An interesting article in the NF Review today by Al Olesuik and hunter responsibilty. Wear your orange this week but remember there are nut cases without a licence like myself out there just trying to get a picture so make sure you varify your targets species, age and sex and double check your line of trojectory incase you miss. That one Lady that was killed this year was a stain on the hunting community.

Niagara Falls Article

I took the firearms all in one coarse (the most expensive).

It basically gives you both the firearms coarse (optional) and the hunter safety.

I plan to hunt with bow only but this way I won't have to return for the firearms coarse if I change my mind....

or get real hungry :)

Check out the game & Fish website for the link to John Kellaway's coarse. I can't list prices here.

If you got kids 12 or older make sure you bring them. Get it early and maintain it and when it's time they can hunt by themselves without going through whatever hassle the Government dishes out in the future. Hell in 10 years you might have to be Grandfathered in just for the right to hunt so get it before it's gone.

Nice going Dan.......hope you bag a nice fat one. There's too many around these days ......too many huge houses going up and pushing the deer into smaller areas .....not enough feed etc. If I run into one I'll give you a call and you can get a practice shot at it . :) My bud Stan is going out in the morn. but are doing it the easy way.....lead !

Guest BowHunta

I was thinkin about becoming a hunter, always enjoyed watchin it on tv.

How long did it take you to get your hunting/firearms certs???

Is that all you need do??

With your name I already thought you were a hunter :)

Check out the G&F site in my sig.

Fire arms education school can either give you the hunters ed in 2 days or add 1 day for the firearms coarse.

The complete coarse runs on a Saturday for firearms and then the following Sat/Sun for hunter safety. If you want restricted so you can hunt with a handgun just add 2-3 hours the first sat.

Silverdale however does it all in one weekend. Fri/Sat/Sun. I'm bettin that after 2 days you'll need to give your brain a rest. Both sites have booking dates and prices listed on the web. John Kellaway (firearmeducation) will not let you fail. If your a nervous wreck and can barely hold the gun, he'll spend extra time with you. There were a couple of students scared sh*tless but after some cookies, coffee and a few extra minutes of help they gained confidence.

It will cost you less for the coarse then any of your hunting gear. Any hunter who hasn't taken this coarse should simply for the safety and ethics lessons. I never knew there is so much to know before you head to the trees. :D

Hey chilli,

I am planning to do the whole thing with John as well. I hope that I have a chance to go register and pay for everything before xmas and hopefully get in sometime in February for the courses.

Good to hear from people about positive experiences with John. Just totally confirms that I have picked the right place to do my training.

Corey

Archived