Closing OPG Hydro Canal

Bones

According to an article in the Niagara Falls Review, the hydro canal wil close in 2010 or 2011 for seven months for repairs. The Welland river will then empty into the Niagara river for that period of time. This will affect water levels and quality. This was previously done in '64 & '65. Can any oldtimers recall the result of the last closing of the canal ? There will be a public open house near the end of February or early March. This has the potential to have a negative impact on the Welland river.

John

I don't know but I suspect this may be good for the Welland River. Steady water flows for 7 months will allow spawned eggs to hatch. As of now the water fluctuates on hydro demand so it's no good for reproduction. Is this not the natural path the water once took?

Here's the story http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/webapp/si...name=Local+News

Guest canadadude

That is interesting for sure Chillie but like you I'm not sure how it will affect the spawning of the fish!! I mean changing the flow may or may not hurt the spawn depending on the spawning beds the fish use!! Your right when you say the river will return to it's original flow but I think the original spawning areas don't exsist anymore due to years of the current water flow!! The fish have probably found new areas to spawn and changing the flow again may acctually hinder spawning by ruining present spawning areas!!It really is a good question but regaurdless good or bad the flow is going to change and I guess we'll see what happens :):D

Guest johnlevick

One of the concerns I raised earlier in the week with the NPCA is the impact of this increased reversing water flow on the two siphons (aqueducts) under the new and old canals. The oldest and most vulnerable is is the Merritt Island siphon built in 1928-30. There is a considerable amount of sediment accumulation in it now. Specifically, I've requested information on its status based on the 2005 inspection, what preventative maintenance measures can be put in place to to clear out debris on a regular basis and finally what is the anticipated rise and fall of the river after the Hydro Canal has been completed. Increased water flow could increase the sedimentation process.

This aqueduct is owned by the City of Welland who in my opinion naively took this as part of the canal land transfer in 1999. There currently is no agreement with upper levels of government to assist the City should a catastrophic event occur, meanwhile those same upper tiers have made decisions that directly impact it. ie). the OPG hydro canal.

The public is largely unaware of this situation, local politicians included. When you broach the subject, the response is a mixture of confusion and bewilderment before they run for cover. Tough questions, indeed, that must be discussed. I've been accused of being a pessimist and alarmist, yet if this was let's say the Humber or Credit River, the public, press and local governments would be going insane. Why are we so timid and meek in Niagara?

- John

Guest canadadude

. Why are we so timid and meek in Niagara?

- John

may be somthing in the water :D:):lol: There are so many concerns that arrise when one changes the flows of rivers!! Yet try to find some answers :unsure:I don't think our governments really look at the all the concerns that can arrise from changes and really don't have all the answers or maybe they do but are affraid to publish them :)

sometimes I think that some issues are just kind of swept under the rug kind of thing because the main focus is on the tourism sector in our region, and they are afraid to mar the publics opinion about our region, although unrelated so to speak, that's why many crimes, and social issues are not forefront in the news. Surprises me at times that alot of ecological issues and impacts are not in the forefront seeing as right smack dab in the middle of tourist land is that big water that goes over the cliff, and very signifigant part of the great lakes system,seaway, power generation and so on.

John after reading the article from the review. It looks like the direction would only change for the last couple of KM at the mouth of chippewa creek. The flow through Welland and port robinson wouldn't be affected. This change would mean the muddy water that normally goes down the hydro canals(from welland,port robinson) right near the QEW will now continue out to the Niagara river and exit in Chippewa. The water currently flows from two directions and meets under the QEW to go down the hydro canals. Please correct me if this is wrong.

Would make the water going over the falls a little different color.

Guest canadadude

I'm far from being an expert at water flow but if the direction is changed at the mouth of the river I'm sure the whole system will be impacted in some way!! I know when the flow is cut down at decew hydro station many miles up river from Port Dalhousie the impact is felt at Port and water levels dramaticlly change throughout the system!! The more you think about it, subtle changes in river flows can have and do have significant impact on all ecosystems dependant on the river!! I think John makes a great point about the Humber and Credit rivers the population seems to care more for these systems!! Although this was not always the case and perhaps the amount of population surrounding these systems may be a factor!! This is a very interesting and not much information has been given to the public concerning the new hydro tunnel and its impact on the enviroment and the wellend river ecosystem :)

Guest johnlevick

My understanding is the temporary diversion will drop levels of the Welland River during the construction, which in itself raised some concerns, such as shoreline loss and erosion. The bigger concern is what happens when the new power canal goes online. Thats when the raising and lowering of the river becomes more dramatic impacting the river for many km. upstream. Whether the muddy water affects the Niagara River or Falls, I simply don't know. If it did it would look hideous under the light show!

Guest niagarafishingadventures

Hey guys,

The Welland river flows toward the niagara and like Tom has said it flows directly into the hydro canal and at the mouth of the river the water direction has been chaned and it accepts water from the niagara and it also goes into the hydro canal by the train bridge near the qew when they close the hydro canal the other tunnel will be online so the flow will actually not change much as well the new tunnel takes water directly from the niagara if i am not mistaken but i could be wrong .. so if this is the case the flow of the Welland river will not change too much from welland to the hydro canal... just my opinion.

Aldo

Technically speaking the Welland river ENDS at the hydro canal. The old Welland river channel has been dredged and now the flow has been reversed from this point to Kingsbridge park in Chippawa is now technically the Niagara river, making most of Niagara Falls (the city) an island since it is totally surrounded by water! As far as affecting fish stocks, any fry hatched out in the area now won't be sucked down the canal and diced in the turbines. The water just whips through there from the Niagara to the canal and now fry should have a chance to grow strong enough to fight the current. The turbid water may even get rid of the gobies and zebra mussles (probably not but you never know!)

jjcanoe

Archived