VHF in Lake Huron

Hellfish

Deadly fish virus found in Lake Huron

by Jim Moodie / manitoulin.ca

manitoulin.ca

LAKE HURON-It's here.

Late last month, the Michigan Department of Natural Resources found viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS) in several types of fish from the Alpena, Rogers City and Cheboygan areas of the state-waters situated a mere 100 miles from the Island.

"It was found in Michigan by the Americans, because we're not looking for it," said Gord Miller, Ontario's environment commissioner, in an interview with the Expositor last week.

While it is hoped that fish will build up a natural resistance to the highly contagious bug, and that new Ministry and Natural Resources (MNR) regulations on the harvest and transfer of bait fish may slow its proliferation, there seems little hope of actually halting its progress. "It will continue to spread through the Great Lakes," said Mr. Miller darkly, adding that it could also "spill into the inland lakes."

Originally confined to salt water, VHS appeared in a new freshwater strain in 2005, as diagnosed by Guelph fish pathologist John Lumsden. At that time, it was identified as the culprit behind a massive die-off of freshwater drum in Lake Ontario.

Since then, over a dozen species have been found to be susceptible to the disease, which, as the 'hemorrhagic' part of its name suggests, kills fish in a most unpleasant way. They bleed to death.

While it remains unclear exactly how the virus arrived in our waters, the most likely explanation, said Mr. Miller, is bilge water from ocean-going freighters. Humans are not at risk of contracting VHS, but the list of fish that could incur high mortality rates is ever growing.

The VHS-infected fish studied by the Michigan DNR included chinook salmon, walleye and whitefish. The latter, a staple of Island commercial fishermen, hailed from the Cheboygan area and were initially collected in 2005 as part of a survey for bacterial kidney disease. A more recent analysis revealed they had actually died of VHS.

Apart from its proximity to Manitoulin and the North Channel, Cheboygan is also a scant 25 kilometres from the strait linking Huron to Lake Michigan, meaning another Great Lake will almost certainly find itself on the list of infected zones soon.

Following these latest finds, Michigan has reclassified its Lake Huron waters as a VHS Positive Management Area, joining Lake St. Clair, the St. Clair River, the Detroit River and Lake Erie in this category. In conjunction with this, the state has issued a ban on the trap and transfer of live fish unless they have tested negative for VHS, and is urging anglers to disinfect their boats and cease transporting minnows from the Great Lakes to inland lakes.

Ontario announced similar VHS control strategies in early January which involved dividing the province into three zones-the infected zone, the buffer zone, and the virus-free zone-and outlawing all commercial harvesting and export of bait fish in the former, while buffer areas would be permitted to collect and use bait fish but not move them elsewhere.

At the time, only Lakes Ontario and Erie were considered infected zones, while Lake Huron fell into the buffer zone category. Although no announcement has yet come from the MNR regarding a reclassification, it is almost certain that, with the recent discovery of VHS along the Michigan shore of Lake Huron, our area will soon fall into the more strictly regulated category.

George Purvis of Purvis Brothers Fishery said that, "now that they've found it (in Lake Huron), they'll move the boundary up to the Sault locks." The longtime commercial fisherman, and member of the Ontario Commercial Fish Producers Association, isn't thrilled about the appearance of VHS in local waters, but neither is he surprised or particularly alarmed.

"We've known about this right from the start, and I'm not that concerned about it," he said. "The head of our association, who is a biologist, says we just have to let nature take its course. I think after a couple of years fish build up an immunity."

Mr. Purvis noted that the virus has obviously been in Lake Huron for some time already, since the samples collected in Michigan date to 2005, but his boats are still hauling in decent amounts of fish. "The whitefish haven't died yet," he said. "In our main fishing areas, we took our quota last year, so I'm not too concerned at this point."

That said, Mr. Purvis suspects that those who make their livelihoods from aquaculture and the bait business could incur significant losses. "The farmed fish could be in serious trouble compared to wild fish because if rainbows get it, it would go through the cages like wildfire," he said. The virus tends to impact fish that are stressed, he noted, and disease can travel very quickly among close-quartered farm stock.

"If the aquaculture people have brood stock or fry that are infected with VHS, they'll kill it all, like cattle in England," said Mr. Purvis.

Bait dealers, meanwhile, "are going to be put out of business," Mr. Purvis predicted, due to the crackdown on harvest and transfer of live bait. "It's gotten political, and they're jumping through the hoops now to keep (VHS) out of inland lakes."

The commercial fisherman also anticipates that fish hatcheries will soon encounter strict new policies geared to stemming the spread of the virus. "The MNR might insist those fish are tested before they're put in the lake, because you don't want to dump the virus right on top of the existing fish."

I think if they actually look for it in Simcoe/Nippising they will find it. They never bothered to monitor it closely until it was found in baitfish. One might think this is stupid but there are 2 good reasons. 1- People don't generally transport live fish from lake to lake with the exception of baitfish. 2- The Ministries are working on a tiny portion of funding without the key field staff that's needed.

I wish there was a way we could blame the spread of these things on the political willingness to procrastinate when budgeting funds for important programs like the ones put forth by the MNR. Refer back to the Joe Montgomery thread.

I was told by John Cooper (click the fecc in my signiture) that by the time we have our informational meeting in March they expect to have found out that it is already spread further than they had orriginally anticipated. My take? Either the bait ban zones will change or live auquatic bait will be banned al together.

Guest canadadude

It's difficult to blame anyone for VHS the origin is unknown at this point the only thing to do is controll the spread, which really is the most important issue!!! The MNR is doing what it can to do this, however there hands are tied at enforcing rules as well as putting rules in place!! It's not only due to lack of funding but also political barriers have tied there hands :worthy: As sportsman we have to relise these problems and be responsible not to spread this virus!! It's to late to blame anyone for VHS, the main priority now is to stop the spread and the fishers of the province have to step up! :)

This is one scary situation. It has the potential to level many inland lakes to the point of no recovery. It's too bad that we all know there are many unethical fishermen that will not heed this warning and will ruin a lot of water on all of us.

It seems like that they are hoping for the fish to be able to build up a tolerance to the virus. I fail to understand how this protects the fish who aren't exposed to it :lol: . An all out permanent live bait ban is the only way to protect our waters. If you have live bait fish you get fined..no questions asked. I feel awful for the bait harvestors and suppliers but I would feel worse if some of my favourite lakes were leveled. I hope the MNR comes up with some kind of compensation for those hit the hardest.

Time to start working on a mechanical jigger so the second line when icing doesn't become extinct.

Im starting to agree more and more witht he bait ban, but for me i catch my own bait and use it in the exact same spot where i catch it from dont move more than 5 ft and fish, so i should be good doing that right ?

No pro on the subject still looking for answers :lol:

It is safe and ethical to do that but the problem is as long as people are allowed to catch and use there own baitfish enforcement becomes impossible. There is no way to prove where it came from, leaving a loophole for the unethical fisherman to transport bait. A total ban is the only way I can see that would be fully enforceable.

Has anybody in the know speculated if this thing can be wiped out over time. If not there is no way baitfish would ever be allowed again and kiss a lot of our fishable lakes goodbye. If this virus is as nasty as it looks to be look at 2007 as the year that fishing changed completely :lol:

Guest canadadude

It will probably take longer then a year for a total baitfish ban,I think minimum 2 years and the way the MNR works your looking at 5 :) I mean the MNR can't even prepare a copy of the fishing regs that exsist now :blink: As for VHS the debate is still on going on how it will affect the resource :lol: If it does have the potential to seriously harm the resource then precautions must be taken now to protect the resource!!!

Pope I agree completly with what your saying and unfortunatly a complete baitfish ban may be the only method to controll the spread of VHS :huh:

It def is a horrible thing, itz a damn good thing we have unbelieveable soft plastics and cranks that look preety darn real or we would be in trouble, i depend on minnows for alot of my fishing for cats and carp and perch, but there is always alternatives and when it comes down to it a bait ban would seperate the men from the kids :lol: takes alot more patience and knowledge with artificals then it does with live bait... Nothing better than finessing for walleye with artificals good times. thanx for the info, i know this subject has been beaten to death but the boards been slow lately so figure we may as well chat about summin.

anyone wanting to try to get some answers, as mentioned, the FECC is haveing Cooper as a guest speaker on this very topic in the next couple weeks, anyone is welcome to attend :dunno: anglers, conservatists,local bait harvesters, the more the better :blink:

FECC(Fort Erie Conservation Club)it's in Stevensville,2555 Ott Rd just follow Sodom Rd it becomes Stevensville Rd then when you get to the end you will see the sign for it. The club house is at the Stevensville Conservation Area, it's nice there, we keep up the grounds, trails there, part of Black Creek runs through it, there is also a small fishing pond with a couple benches around it, decent picinic area with pavilion, washrooms. I am pretty sure that this meeting is on March 6, 7:30pm

Archived