Sign , Sign......

smerchly

What's with the sign going out to Pt. Abino point . Is the lighthouse not accessible anymore ? Did the rich people buy up all the property & gated off the road ? If this is true I expect to see a lot of our lake fishing places bought up and barriers put up .....a "sign" of the times ?

map.web.mapquest.com.gif

Guest canadadude

I'm pretty sure that has been private access out to the end of the Point for awhile!! :rolleyes: I remember a few years ago there was a controversy about the access to the Light House!! Not sure what happened about it :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that has been private access out to the end of the Point for awhile!! :unsure: I remember a few years ago there was a controversy about the access to the Light House!! Not sure what happened about it :unsure:

There are a couple communities out this way who have also staked out their "private" access to the lake.

What I really would like to know is HTH do they get away with it. Talk about thumbing your nose at the establishment.

Guest canadadude

There are a couple communities out this way who have also staked out their "private" access to the lake.

What I really would like to know is HTH do they get away with it. Talk about thumbing your nose at the establishment.

I know what your saying and Lake Erie is bad for it all over the place!! Lots of times it isn't even Canadians who own the property!!! I reall don't know how they do this,it seems at abino they own the land that surrounds the lighthouse but not the lighthouse so they just close off the access to it!! :unsure: the only way to visit it is by boat :unsure:

Most land around the lake is private land. The lighthouse has been off limits for quite a few years. That is why it's important to protect any public lands that might be sold off such as in Port Dalhousie. The Cities along Lake Erie (Fort Erie, Crystal Beach, Port Colborne) have maintained launch access and park land for our use but privately owned land owners can do what they want as they usually own the land to the waters edge.

You would think our government would keep a certain percentage of lake access as crown land & give people access to some of the shoreline like waterfront parks , washrooms etc. But we know big money talks and can be very effective at election time.........I understand there are the few who think they can drink & party & leave their garbage anywhere they like , but that's where this country comes up short........No effective law enforcement . Very heavy fines would go a long way to keep the low lifes in check . The new cheap way of "checking" out problems is to BAN .......very quick & cost effective !

:angry2:Unfortunately, the province gave the municipalitiesthe right to sell off public waterfront accesses. Originally, all lakes had a 66 foot road allowance along shore. It was a great cash grab.

When the dust settled, most of the beaches around Long Point, Simcoe's south shore, and Innisfil were bought up. You used to be able to camp out on those beaches and no one would say boo.

Other provinces and some states were smarter and refused to sell off coastal beaches and shoreline. Ontario wasn't among the smart ones. It's the same lack of foresight that will cripple the MNR, the MOE and our perks system. Keep it cheap or sell it off.

We were talking about this just this past weekend. You have rights to use the water but not the shore line. There are some properties that have property lines that extend out into the water(due to higher water levels) but as long as you don't touch bottom with your foot or anchor, your not trespassing. There are two place that I know of (longpoint, lake scugog) where the land owners actually own the water and your not allowed to trespass on the water. These are both very old properties that have been grandfathered in. If someone dredges a canal or new marina where it was previously land, you can use the water and not be trespassing. You do have to respect others peoples enjoyment of the water as well, so don't fish where people are swimming or sitting on their docks. This is a hot topic in the bass circles, where we fish a lot of docks, boats houses and marinas. No one can interfere with your right to fish either. If a cottage owner is throwing rocks in the water to scare the fish they can be charged under the law. There have been a couple of instanced in the U.S. where a property owner has fired gun shots over an anglers head to scae them away. Charges were pressed in those cases. If you witness something like this, take a photo, or video with your camera or cell phone and report it to the police or MNR.

if you guys want some info, contact- Shorewalk Association

www.shorewalk.ca

President: Gary Skerrett

Box 25, Ridgeway,on L0S 1N0

This guys is trying to get our rights back when it comes to public access to the great lakes. Most of the people with so called "private property" that blocks access to the lakes, don't actually own any of that property at all, they just think they do, or where misled when they bought the property, even actually claiming that they own so many "chain lenghts" out into the water. this guy is trying to change road allowances, get barriers taken down ect..really the shore line surrounding the entire great lakes system IS public land that we should all be able to access and use.

The Shorewalk Association was founded about a year and a half ago some of it's goals are:

1- gain FULL walking rights on our greatlakes shoreline

2- improve access to beaches and all our shores by removing "encroachments"

3- Improve maps,brochures and welcome signs to aid in finding public access to our shores

4- establish shoreline walking routes (A greatlakes trail)

5-protect our natural shoreline environment.

here is a quote from the February newsletter that I recieved from them

"Access to the Point Abino Lighthouse remains an issue that won't go away. We have sound evidence to back the claim that the public has free access to the shoreline up to the high water mark. We also have facilitated an understanding that the Federal,Provincial,Municipal restoration funding talks will be coming"

They are working hard to try and get a "Right of Passage Bill" passed following an example of success that the State of Michigan has accomplished through the courts to guarantee walking rights along all of Ontario's Great Lakes shoreline.

Hope this helps some of you guys out that where wondering about a few issues brought up on this thread, and another example of things you might learn from topics raised and guest speakers, by going and checking out a meeting a local outdoors type club. If you want to know more about Shorewalk, and what they stand for I am sure they will gladly send you a news letter and other info.

I am a member of the shorewalk association. The road leading to the lighthouse is owned privately. The lighthouse is publically own. There is a Federal law that should allow passage but the Rich Americans also own the polititions, Municipal, Provincial and Federal. These private lands are protected as if they represented American soverienty.

I had a friend who delivered pizza's in there and was always pulled over in his car and given the going over by residents. I have no problems with Americans in general. I am surrounded by good American neighbours in my neighbourhood and I wouldn't trade them but along the shoreline of Fort Erie they are ridiculous.

In their defence though, these privately owned lands are pristine. Unlike any publically owned and accessable land, this area doesn't represent a dump caused by slob fishermen and hikers. The lands for the most part are in a healthy natural state and I know if the public is allowed in, it will be a mess like the piers. ATV's would destroy the dunes and forest floor etc.

The guy who bought Marcy's woods was quick to put up a gate that prevented 4 wheelers from accessing this uniquely important property and us Canadian naturalists appreciated it.

So really being kicked off property which we should have legal access to burns my backside but leaving the issue alone is the best way to protect it's natural environment. Getting to know these people on a one on one basis is the best way to gain access. I know most people won't understand my stance on this one, but sometimes neglecting your own moral blueprint is the best option in unique situations.

Dan :lol:

:D I don't mind the americans kicken tresspassers out of their because if they didn't all you would see all over the lighthouse would be the Ass #%&$# with there spray cans, Look what happens in port each year our lighthouses get hit atleast 4 times a year so quit your bitchen atleast the americans have balls to keep things looking nice :worthy: all us canadians would say is OH WELL

Ok....I asked what the reason was for the barrier (gate) on the road and if it was a garbage /vandalism thing , then , I can understand that . It can set a precedent of course to many more of our fishing spots , but for the municipalities , it's the cheapest ,easiest way to control it , be it American or Canadian owned property . In this case it makes me feel ill at ease when you can build a swanky subdivision and have the main access privatized like they have in California complete with private guards . This may be the way of the future for the elite class ....but if I was one of them , you bet I would do what they did to keep out the riff raff ! It's too bad the majority of people who have respect for the environment and public property lose access to these places (like Ft.George) , but with all the cutbacks in enforcement funding , we will have to take the loss.......Thanks for the perspective from the American side Chilli !

Guest canadadude

;) I don't mind the americans kicken tresspassers out of their because if they didn't all you would see all over the lighthouse would be the Ass #%&$# with there spray cans, Look what happens in port each year our lighthouses get hit atleast 4 times a year so quit your bitchen atleast the americans have balls to keep things looking nice :worthy: all us canadians would say is OH WELL

They didn't gate that off to keep kids with spray cans out :worthy: Its to keep people without money out, its a prestige thingy!!! I've seen how well Americans deal with grafitee take a trip over the bridge and look around,you think we have it bad!!! There spray painted buildings are 5 coats deep because the have balls to keep things looking nice,give me a break

I don't know where you guys have been but that road has had security, only letting residents or someone visiting them in for 35 years that I know of. Why all the fuss now? The last Canadian moved off around 10 yrs ago.

Captnn....I guess I have lost touch with the Erie area ......haven't fished much in that area for years . I have heard about some of the American lakes & parks being very well kept , like Chataqua Lake....which may be a case of strict enforcement in certain areas . From what I've seen so far , the rec.canal looks like it's well maintained and min.amount of garbage.. Concerning Point Abino .......looks like it's an American fortress now.....Thanks for the history lesson Capt ! :worthy:

Don't even get me going about Town owned equiptment being used to maintain these privately owned roads. Up here it's the buddy system. More than half the town are from outside areas yet somehow the good ole boy locals still manage to run their club.

Archived