local out doors type clubs

jwl

Just thought I would start something to toss a bit on info around for anyone interested pertaining to our local conservation/fish and game clubs.

many of us on the board belong to some type of out doors club, and perhaps by tossing a bit of info around, others on the board may strike some interest into checking out one of our clubs,perhaps have interest of sorts in becoming a member or perhaps see what sort of things we can do to give back to the sports we all love so much :blink:

As many already know I am a trustee for the Fort Erie Conservation Club.

here are some of the the activitues our club is active in throughout the year :lol:

We have an annual walleye stocking program ,during which volunteers set out with the MNR working directly together,catching,tagging,relocating fish, and also collecting brood stock for a local hatchery, we also have a walleye rearing pond where we raise the fry to later be netted and transported to a designated local stocking area.

We also have an annual pheasant release program, where as volunteer members can obtain these birds to be released into the wild in designated areas as a "put and take" hunting source.

We also participate in different habitat restoration project as well, this year one of our focuses will be pheasant habitat restoration

We also have an annual tree give away, where anyone can sign up to get sapplings to be planted around the region or perhaps even your own back yard, these are all trees and fruit bearing shrubs that are native to the Niagara Region and is also a part of our objectives on habitat restoration

As part of this as well, we go to local schools and students are educated on local flora and fauna and are given a small sappling that they are to take care of for the rest of the year, then re-plant them in the spring of the following season.

This year, I am also happy to say that Chilli and I are corresponding with the MNR as well as the OFAH biologists in regards to a small mentoring project with local schools to have small class room hatheries where the students have the chance to raise Atlantic Salmon, and I just came to find out today as well...Rainbow Trout...we are working on this as we speak and I am sure you will get a chance to see this unfold.

We also have an annual kids fish derby day where the kids can fish for a number of species of fish in our pond, and a good number of trout are brought in for this event as well,there is a BBQ and such after, and we try and make sure that all the kids recieve a great prize.

We enter a float in the annual Santa Clause Parade

This year we have also adopted a section of the Freindship Trail and will be recruiting local youth to help us maintain and keep clean "our" section of the trail.

We also have a program where members work in our wood shop that provides bird houses and bat houses to the local Library,Schools and Scouts as well as other youth groups, some are given away and or sold assembled or as kits the kids can build themselves.

It is also one of our obligations to help the NPCA maintain the over 100 acre property that our clubhouse is located on in the Stevensville Conservation Area.

For those who may want the more "social" aspect of being a member of these type of organizations , we also have a Wood Carvers Club, where you can learn how to become a carver...some members make spectacular creations, there is also a Euchre night and a Darts night as well at the club house.

So come on, check out what any of our local clubs may have that are of interest to you

Club members don't be shy, promote your organization and share with us what kind of things your club does for the community and has to offer :huh::lol:

Jack we haven't adopted the trail yet. We need 12 people from Fort Erie to agree to do 4 clean ups a year. I think we have 6 people so far. Thanks for volunteering. Are you available on the 26th? 5ish

I thought we had all the people needed for the trail adoption thing at the last exec meeting??, the 26th should be ok...just let me know what's up

Sorry Jack I'll be bringing the family. I have the opportunity to bring one guest for a wild game night and to meet the club. You've been there once with me already. I asked you because you do get involved. Next on my list to ask is John B if you decline.

Wanna go catch something in the morning.

OK now that Jack and I have jacked his own thread, I agree with him on his original post. Some may think Jack was patting his own back as I have been accused of in the past but really if we seem like we're building it up it's because we really want other sports people to join these clubs. Besides it feels more like a club when we work with our own kind.

Whether your a sporting type person or a green freak etc, it's a great place to hook up with others, give back and sometimes get rewarded. Not that going out for dinner with chilli is an honor or anything but I'd rather invite a fellow member of an area club or the OFAH before a co worker.

Thanks for plugging us again Jack. Hopefully someday the competition gets fierce and Fort Erie, Port C and St Kitts and hopefully ETC!!! can compete for best overall club.

does it count if ya hi-jack your own thread?? :D ,anyways great reply Chilli,honestly wasn't trying to pat anyone's back not even my own :P , just trying to toss some info around out there to try and give a few examples of some of the efforst that local clubs participate in around the Niagara region, and hoping to get some feed back from members of other clubs as to what they are all about as well.

Some may not even know that certain clubs exist, some may not know that there are activities within a club that they may be interested in, some are not interested in certain conservatioon efforst for example, but like the social aspects a club may share in, but even at that, signing up and paying membership dues to join a club is a big help as well, the monies raised are to help offset the costs of everyhting the club gets involved in. And sometimes it is just a great feeling knowing that one can help give back to the outdoors and some of the sporting that we all enjoy so much.

As for fishin in the morning, I will get back to you on that one later on when I see if the wife has any plans that might affect that...I don't see much of a problem if I don't need my car :dunno:

well I know the wife needs my car....so, no boat...no big deal, I think I might know a couple shore spots depending on what we want to fish for :dunno:

• 1 month later...

I am really surprized that no-one added to this, great opportunity to promote and inform people about any local outdoor's, or fishing clubs you may be a part of, or a spot to post a link to thier web site.

We've all heard the big negatives about the SCG&F in the past. The club has gone through some tough times.

There is a new executive in St Kitts and it will turn the club around for the better. At present we run a series of fishing events. Spring and Fall salmon derbies and a very successful Kids Day. Some of our newer members have also been running some very successful one day derbies.

We are also involved in stocking Pt Dalhousie annually.

There are some great exciting new opportunities and programs coming in the near future to rebuild a fun fishing community.

We meet the last Monday of each month. Catch you on the water.

The main negative comment I here Bigugli is they don't do anything beyond Port D!

You need members to initiate this stuff folks! Climb on board, bring some ideas with you and make it happen!

Carp derby in Martindale a week before the regatta? Organize it! Plant some trees, do a cleanup etc.

There's some easy stuff to do that would help the club but our skeleton crew has to grow!

This is your club St Kitts. All you need to do is join, get active and take charge.

There's no "we've always done it this way" anymore!

Please someone start small and organize a clean up somewhere in the City that will benefit our natural heritage. Ask the City for some yellow fish road pamphlets, invite a school class and a reporter and get your picture in the paper like Bowen. Wham!- Instant leader and proud member of the SCGFA :P

If I can make it I'll bring my gloves and some bags.

Dan :P

Archived