Upper Niagara Report

Dan Andrews

Well I headed out to Nichols in search of perch but there was an East wind blowing in the ice. The whole shoreline from Nichols to the NPC is toast from shore unless you want to wade or squeeze in to one of the few current meets shore spots.

Decided to give the camera a work out instead. Here's a few pictures from around lunch time.

029-1.jpg

046.jpg

050.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

052.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

007.jpg

nice pics there Chilli looks like the water is clearing up looks like about a foot lots of mr.quackers out there

Im going to saying flying birds were Blue Bills ...figures now lots of ducks are here and its closed today...our MNR need to look at Openig Duck Season Nov till Feb ...Sept is still shorts and sandles weather ...

They've been here quite awhile Steve but you can't fire a gun up here. Wonder if you took a boat out so far if you'd get a hassle.

Here's a closer look. I think they're redheads.

052A.jpg

nice pics Dan----can you identify some of those divers. The one shot you got of them flying look like canvasbacks.

Think you are right Gord....canvasbacks . And the big flock sitting on the water look like bluebills

Here is a nice link to an artist .......third row down for canvasbacks.......

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...active%26sa%3DN

They've been here quite awhile Steve but you can't fire a gun up here. Wonder if you took a boat out so far if you'd get a hassle.

Here's a closer look. I think they're redheads.

052A.jpg

Redheads don't have long beaks. Canvasbacks

chili,

looking at that last pic i can't help but wonder if you were the guy standing out in the river right beside the peace bridge around 2:30ish? we were returning from a volleyball tourney and saw one brave soul standing thigh-deep in the river but as luck would have it, the bridge traffic was fast so we didn't get more than a glimpse. would make good entertainment on the days the bridge is jammed though.

all we could think of though is, that was one hardcore fisherman - with frostbite.

When you have that many northern ducks in one place I don't think that you would call that hunting. It would be comparable to fishing in a sanctuary. Ministry should make it a bird sanctuary.

When you have that many northern ducks in one place I don't think that you would call that hunting. It would be comparable to fishing in a sanctuary. Ministry should make it a bird sanctuary.

I'll mildly disagree. I say mildly because I don't know enough about the topic but from what I have been seeing, populations have been increasing on the Upper every year and that's with plenty of hunting on the American side. Perhaps a section of River as a sanctuary but I see this all the way down.

Hunting isn't easy either. The reason all these pictures are blurry is I had to zoom way in on all the ducks. Even a car pulling up sends them packing. They're not stupid and I think if more guys carried a shotgun on the boat with them it would save a few trout and there would be allot less arguing amongst fishermen :lol:

BTW FM this is a River clarity report gone to the ducks :P

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDi....aspx?e=1383237

Winter hunting becoming a lost art

Posted By AL OLEKSUIK

Posted 1 day ago

There is the sound of ice banging off the sides of the aluminum boat as it

pushes through the current towards the dock. The northeast wind swirls the falling snow reducing visibility to less than 200 metres. It's cold, windy and getting dark as the duck hunters return from their season-ending outing.

The river ice is shaped like round pancakes ranging in size from smaller than a metre to several metres. The small boat first has to force its way through these loose ice flows. It then has to break its way through the shore ice that has formed since the hunters left in the morning before it can reach the dock.

The boat is filled to the gunnels with three cold hunters, their decoys, equipment and one big black Labrador retriever. They are a bit puzzled to see someone on shore taking pictures and waiting for them to land.

As they touch the dock, the retriever hops out and immediately comes up to my side and pushes against my leg. I pat his head and rub his ears as he leans into me seeking any warmth I can offer. I know from experience he has done the most work of all of those returning to shore. I notice several geese and ducks mixed in with the decoys and can see it has been a successful outing.

As the hunters clamber out of the boat and secure it to the dock we exchange greetings and for the first time realize we know each other. These not so young hunters have spent many years on the waters of the Niagara River near Navy Island hunting ducks. In fair weather and foul they have headed out on the waters of the Niagara a little more than two kilometres above the falls during the duck and goose season.

There are few more unique and picturesque locations anywhere in the world than the shores of Navy Island. The limited spots available for hunting blinds are a coveted and carefully controlled commodity. Navy Island falls under the control and governance of the Niagara Parks Commission. They in turn control the permits for the hunting rights on the island.

It was pure happenstance I came across these hardy outdoorsmen. I had been driving down the Niagara Parkway, north from the Fort Erie area towards Chippawa when I saw their vehicle and trailer. It was shortly before dark, the wind was increasing as fast as the snowfall and the temperature was falling. I am always interested in fellow outdoorsmen, especially ones who enjoy challenging weather conditions. These guys clearly fit the bill.

The faint-of-heart need not apply for this type of hunting. Travelling several kilometres across open water in a five-metre aluminum boat with full blown winter conditions is old-time hunting. To those who don't find this type of activity appealing, it's hard to explain the attraction. Part of it has to do with being with close friends sharing quality time and part of it has to do with experiencing all of what nature has to offer.

The number of hunters has been declining for the past several decades.

While some will applaud this statistic others recognize the negative consequences of this trend. We have essentially eliminated the natural enemies of many species in nature. This has resulted in the overpopulation of some animals and birds. A prime example is the Canada goose. In some areas, white-tailed deer have reached excessive levels.

Continued After Advertisement Below

Advertisement

It has been necessary for government agencies to cull herds and flocks in areas where overpopulation has created adverse impacts on human populations.

There is more and more pressure on the Ministry of Natural Resources to issue special 'kill permits' and to make them easier to obtain. These permits allow landowners, who are experiencing monetary loss due to wildlife damage, the right to kill the offending animals. These are limited permits, but they should not be necessary in the first place.

This type of situation is by far the least desirable approach to a manageable situation. Increasing quotas, opening up closed areas and promoting hunting is a viable solution. Hunting is now, and will be for many generations to come an integral part of our society. It was not that long ago the skill and success of a hunter within a community or tribe determined its very existence.

The fact we have substituted factory farms, the slaughterhouse and supermarket for the hunter does not make us any less reliant on this food source. Those who continue to pursue this ancient skill are a relevant and important part of our society.

My hat is off to those three hardy hunters I met up with the other day and all those like them. May the wind always be in your favour and the stars of Orion, the hunter, guide you safely home.

Article ID# 1383237

• 10 months later...

Well I have been hunting from my kayak in the Upper this year and will continue to do so until the season closes. Not one duck so far! I faintly remembered this thread and chose to resurrect it because I thought someone said that there was an active sanctuary in the Upper. I have been trying to get an answer from enforcement but OMNR is too busy to get answers for me from the feds and the feds don't seem to want to leave a message on the phone other than to say "sorry we missed you; call us back". I can't call during office hours but I did finaly find this on the net:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C.R.C.-C.1036/page-3.html

The first time I shot a gun just upstream from the NPC marina, I shortly after had 2 police cruisers slowly patrolling the parkway in my area. Probably just some ignorant angry resident. Next shot fired was down from the Palmwood and as son as I landed I had to talk with an officer on a noise complaint. Last Sunday I fired 5 shots/misses and no cops but 100's of guaukers. Some even stopped to honk their horns.

I'll be out again this weekend and hopefully the wind works in my favour this time. If I can bag a quacker between the lake and railroad bridge you may see trouble but this is my legal right. In fact the bastards who take away 437 yards by feeding the geese at Nicholl's marine are doing more harm then good. Many ducks and geese with broken wings can be found here. I'll be sure to put those ones down first.

Archived