Gar Pike in Duffrin Islands

fishing4life

SO Ive been reading the posts in the exotic, invasive....... link in the fishing forum and brought to my attention a few years back while fishing in dufferin islands, I spoted a Gar Pike close to one of the casting areas.For those of you who dont know, Dufferin Islands in along the parkway in Niagara Falls ontario near the greenhouse. Theres nature trails, wildlife and islands of sort that you can have picnics on, or fish from ect...In Duff theres huge carp to catch, once in a blue moon someone will catch a Pirahna that someone has released in the water, trout near by and pretty much all pan fish can be caught in there. Anyhow i thought this was a rare glimps of that type of fish in that body of water. Has anyone esle seen gar pike around? For those who do not know what a Gar pike is they look exactly like a pike but have long snouts on them. Heres some pics to view if you desire. Just a little topic to talk about and get everyones mind running.

http://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/search/i...mp;fr=yfp-t-501

i see them all the time in the summer at martindale pond there easiest to catch when the surface temp is more then 30 c

really anything you would use for pike except smaller with a steel leader another way to increase your hooking chances since there nearly impossible to hook cause of there tough mouth is you tied a piece of red frayed nylon or red yarn to the hook so it gets tangled in the teeth just watch out for those use red cause it looks like blood so then it will attract them more

I saw a school of at least 200 gar in Lake Gibson about 20 years ago, right by the tubes off beaverdams rd, never saw another in there after that. I spotted a couple on the Upper Niagara last friday, those were the first ones I've seen locally in many years. I have seen lots at Bay of Quinte, and a fair number of people target them there using large streamer flies.

Linz

Guest LockedInTheTrunkOfACar

I have seen them schooling in the middle ponds ... out by the gate 12 area I saw one that had to be pushing 3-4 feet (including the snout), but by the time I put a leader on it either went deep or was hiding just way too well.

Used to see a ton of them in the Port Dalhousie marina (St. Kitts side) ... always on the smaller side (12 to 18").

Hello everyone, I'm new to this board and just thought I would add my 2 cents. There is gar pike in hamilton harbour. This is the first year I ever saw one caught. Will try and post a picture of it!!

There's tons of gars in the grand river, especially the lower part. I catch them every spring and right is prime time, their stacked all around the dam. Fun fish to fight for the first 2 then they become a pain.

still tons in gibson by the tubes off beaverdams. seen them last year, just as the sun went down... was packin up and seen what looked like sticks floating up to the water all of a sudden... turned on the flash light and a good 20-30 all right there by shore coming in pretty damn close too. they wouldnt grab anything i tried tossing tho

I've seen alot of them in Quinte. but never been able to get one to grab a lure. but I'm working at Beck 1 right now and on my lunch's I'll watch the river. Everyday I see a school of at least 100 sitting right below the power plant in the calm water. they surface alot so I think they must feed of the dead minnows coming out of the run off. thinking about taking the boat down and trying to hook into one.

SO Ive been reading the posts in the exotic, invasive....... link in the fishing forum and brought to my attention a few years back while fishing in dufferin islands, I spoted a Gar Pike close to one of the casting areas.

As far as I know the Gar Pike AKA Long Nosed Gar (I think, If i'm wrong feel free to correct me) is native to this area. There are loads of them on Lyon's Creek (as previously mentioned) and other warm weedy areas in the Niagara area.

I saw several this past weekend floating like a log, while canoing on Big Forkes Creek off the Welland River near RR24.

Guest niagarariverpro
I've seen alot of them in Quinte. but never been able to get one to grab a lure. but I'm working at Beck 1 right now and on my lunch's I'll watch the river. Everyday I see a school of at least 100 sitting right below the power plant in the calm water. they surface alot so I think they must feed of the dead minnows coming out of the run off. thinking about taking the boat down and trying to hook into one.

use a fly rod and surface lure you'll get a mess of them :P

• 10 years later...

Archived