Fishing the Grand

DarkEdge

Hopefully the wife and I will be heading to the Grand this weekend, see if we can't catch a few cats. Problem is, I've never fished it, and I don't think she has either. So, where's a good place to shore fish from? And is there a specific bait I should know about? I was just planning to use chicken livers and worms, probably grab some corn for carp too. Is there better bait no one's told me about? Anything at all will be helpful.

Port Maitland at the mouth of the Grand is a good multi species spot. Free parking but gets a little crowded on weekends. There is a big pier out into Lake Erie. So you can fish either the lake or the river. Some monster carp there.

I love carp fishing, but really love catfishing. And the wife is happy to catch anything, so anywhere we can catch sunfish, she's more than happy.

Hopefully the wife and I will be heading to the Grand this weekend, see if we can't catch a few cats. Problem is, I've never fished it, and I don't think she has either. So, where's a good place to shore fish from? And is there a specific bait I should know about? I was just planning to use chicken livers and worms, probably grab some corn for carp too. Is there better bait no one's told me about? Anything at all will be helpful.

you named off some good baits, for the carp id suggest anywhere where there is some sort of slow moving water. use a bit bigger of a hook for the carp so u can pack on the corn, i used a# 12 trout hook and only got 2 kernels on lol, as for the kitties yeah liver works wonders and worms will do the trick to, if you were up in the cambridge area i could let you in on some really good carp spots. good luck on the grand it can be one of the best fisheries on a good day, cheers

I've only fished the grand twice and it was through the ice, all I caught each time was a smelt its hit and miss

you want big carp...go to allanburg weir..... at the second falls! i go there all the time and us cornmeal and cotton balls...mix them together and you will crush!

also you will cath some nice smallies on spinnerbaits while you wait for the carp!

you want big carp...go to allanburg weir..... at the second falls! i go there all the time and us cornmeal and cotton balls...mix them together and you will crush!

also you will cath some nice smallies on spinnerbaits while you wait for the carp!

You'll have to send me some directions to that one, Stickel. Remember, I'm new to the area. I know a fair bit already, but there's a lot of places I haven't found yet.

You'll have to send me some directions to that one, Stickel. Remember, I'm new to the area. I know a fair bit already, but there's a lot of places I haven't found yet.

I know were that is I think? nothing google maps cant solve

I love carp fishing, but really love catfishing. And the wife is happy to catch anything, so anywhere we can catch sunfish, she's more than happy.

Port Maitland is your ticket then. There are good sized channel cats there and small cats, sheephead, rockbass, smallies and more. The Grand isn't really noted for sunnies though.

isnt that illegal lol

Guest TC1OZ
nope....theres a walkin trail that takes you right too it!

He's referring to you suggesting to use two rods. One for carping and another for tossing spinner baits.

Just helping out, hes right, that's illegal.

:Gonefishing:

just head to ###### in Dunnville he will point you into the right areas

Please don't plug ###### anymore. Thank you.

Scott you can always hit the dam in Dunnville. Far side has been interesting for me with everything from crappy to rainbows but be warned the summer weekends are busy.

Just don't let anyone try to sell you those heavy jig heads with white salty twisters. The rocks at the spillway will eat that investment up real quick. mrk.jpg

mrk.jpg

It's Mr. Crab from the crusty crab! Get you're crabby patties while they are HOTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Crab patties with a little creole seasoning. Droooooooooooooooooool

there's also some good spots around the York and Caledonia area, below the dam. we've caught suckers, carp, bowfin and bass out of there. never any cats though. but a great spot nonetheless. Dunnville is the place to be for cats on the grand. if you want a little closer to home, Jordan harbour by the train tressle is great for cats, but hard to get into without a boat. it can be done if you go down to the water from the cemetary, but it's a hell of a hike down and back up. LOL.

Rich

if you were up in the cambridge area i could let you in on some really good carp spots. good luck on the grand it can be one of the best fisheries on a good day, cheers

Id like to hear about some of theses. Im in Woodstock and do most of my carping in the Pittock, Id like to get in on some of this Grand action

if ur at pt maitland and you look at the other side you can see a wall of rocks, i fish over there ive caught big cats, 3 monster carp, hundreds of bass, some 30-45inch pike, i caught 35inch pike and some nice bass and pickerel, and if u use a jig and a worm you can count to ten and have a 3-8pound sheephead. i fish there every weekend with my friends i have a trailer at sandy shores. my favourite thing for the cats and carp is to use a egg sinker i put it about 2ft above with a split shot and a sigle hook running off the end with corn or a worm. its by siddals fisherie by all the boats go straight pased them. when you get there you will see a no trespassing sign though just park your car on the otherside and walk down the road straight until you find a sand path than you start fishing about 10m down

Bump.

New question. Anyone know firearms/hunting bylaws for Dunnville? I checked the bylaw thread, and searched online. All I could find was fees for licenses to hunt rabbit and pheasant. I'm asking because, if I can, I want to take my bow. That's in zone 16, if memory serves?

Great question for the hunting section. We use Wildlife Management Units for hunting, not zones. Dunnville isn't in Niagara either. Ask any Canadian Tire Store for a copy of the hunting regulations but a search of the Town's website might be a place to start. If they are not online you'll likely have to purchase a map of the discharge areas.

Archived