Carp

The Ketchican Kid

Lest my eyes deceive me (and that's always possible), that looks way too much like a flathead. Anal fin is right, tail isn't forked, colour is perfect. And the bottom jaw sticks out past the upper.

Ketchican, I say with almost total confidence, you caught a flathead catfish in Niagara.

Lest my eyes deceive me (and that's always possible), that looks way too much like a flathead. Anal fin is right, tail isn't forked, colour is perfect. And the bottom jaw sticks out past the upper.

Ketchican, I say with almost total confidence, you caught a flathead catfish in Niagara.

If this is true, oh good lord i'd be ecstatic. I'm so jealous of the catfish anglers in the southern united states, gigantic catches. Who in the right mind doesnt a 40+ catfish tugging on their line?

Don't get your panties all knotted up just yet girls. Go look at a good reference on Canadian fresh water species. Local waters ( read 12 Mile system) carry a specie of cat known as "Madtom". Colours of a bullhead, longer in the body and flatter. That would be a good size in this instance.

Well i just looked up flathead catfish and it looks like a match! Should i report it to anyone. And Bigugli, i looked up madtom in the ROM fish book of mine and if this was a madtom i would be a world record holder. Thanks guys im sure you`ll have some answers!

Well i just looked up flathead catfish and it looks like a match! Should i report it to anyone. And Bigugli, i looked up madtom in the ROM fish book of mine and if this was a madtom i would be a world record holder. Thanks guys im sure you`ll have some answers!

if it is indeed a flathead than I would report to the MNR since there not common here

Sure, ill get right on this if this is indeed a flathead!

the Ministry would also identify it for sure so keep your fingers crossed

could i get a link or info on how i could report this fish.

Its a normal brown bullhead. you can see this because the adipose fin isn't joined to the tail. also if it was a flathead it would look different e.g. bigger adipose fin more blotchy looking mottled skin even if it was a baby. Nice fish either way!

you guys are all forgetting that these fish drink the water in the Rootbeer. that being said, anything is possible. LOL. the Cat I got the other week was very big and looked exactly like this one. I didn't weigh it, but it was a solid 4 pounder, maybe slightly higher. the teeth were also bigger than the average Cat of the same size around here. dug into my thumb and drew a small spot of blood................those suckers were sharp. :o needless to say, I used half a tube of Polysporin when I got home. LOL.

fish_catfish_flathead.jpg

Flathead catfish (digital image)

fish_catfish_brownbullhead.jpg

Brown bullhead (digital image)

Notice neither fish has a adipose fin that joined to the tail. Also, Ketchican's fish has the squared off gill plate. The brown bullhead has a more rounded plate. I still stand by my ID that this is a flathead.

Notice neither fish has a adipose fin that joined to the tail. Also, Ketchican's fish has the squared off gill plate. The brown bullhead has a more rounded plate. I still stand by my ID that this is a flathead.

The thing with the adipose fin is for madtoms not flatheads Therefore I was trying to say it could be not be a madtom. the other part of what I was saying was that im almost 100% sure that the fish is of the bullhead family and the reason that It may look different from the other fish is that it could be another species within the bullhead family. For example you could have been catching yellow or brown bullheads wile you were there but this one might be a black bullhead. Or it could be an example of polymorphism where this one fish slightly darker than most of the others. In one book it states that bullhead are commonly confused with small flatheads which makes sense because they look quite similar but if you look at the front of the adipose fin in relation to the anal fin you will see that the anal fin on the fish ketichian kid is holding starts way before where the adipose fin starts, on a flathead catfish the start of both the anal and adipose fin should be lined up almost the same, but on his fish they are not. You can even check on the pictures you provided. Therefore we could safely assume that this is of the bullhead family. Also the gillplate could look different due to the way it is held i.e. holding the bottom jaw can change the look of the gill plates.

I concede the ID. Ketchican, it's most definitely of the bullhead family. For one thing, look at the nostril location and size. Flatheads have very small nostrils located near the upper whiskers, whereas bullhead have larger nostrils closer to the mouth.

It's a bullhead, but exactly what kind is still the mystery...

I think I got excited by the colours and when KK said it had a "flat head". My shoes got a little tight, and the air got cut off to my brain. Won't let it happen again. :pardon:

Archived