Thanksgiving Fish

DarkEdge

Started out this wonderful Thanksgiving morning at 5, ready and waiting for my buddy Steve. He's new to fishing, and has the salmon bug already. So we headed down to the whirlpool for some first light salmon. Unfortunately for us, glow spoons weren't on the menu. So we decided to head to Welland, and try the Rec Canal for some bass, pike, perch, whatever was biting. Result there was three gobies, one for him, two for me.

Not wanting him to be discouraged (this is his third fishing trip, he only started fishing over the Labour Day weekend), I brought him over to the creek by my house. Threw out some corn for chum, baited hooks, and the wait began. Slow to start, like I'm use to. About an hour later, while he's off exploring new fishing spots along the bank, I nailed this beauty:

69843_10150281015105321_784400320_14850208_2934036_n.jpg

Close up of the same fish:

68064_10150281015235321_784400320_14850210_8326783_n.jpg

That brought him back to the baited spot. I threw my line back in, something I've never done in that water before (not wanting to stress the few fish I know are in there, once I catch one, I pack it in). About a ten minute wait, and the Fishing Gods smiled down upon me again, giving me this little guy:

68064_10150281015240321_784400320_14850211_5198974_n.jpg

So now I'm excited, and wanting to see if I could catch the big one in there again. I know he's about 8 or so pounds, and seeing how excited Steve was just to see me catch the fish, I was hoping the big one would grab his line. The big one didn't show his head, but I did managed a nice surprise. My first ever!:

67220_10150281015330321_784400320_14850217_5361529_n.jpg

Right before we decided to call it a day, Steve hooked into one about the size of my first, but lost it just as we went to get it out of the water. I know he still had a blast, even just throwing his spoon down at the pool, let alone to feel a four pound carp pulling at his line. You can definitely say, he's hooked. :read:

Great report scott. We will have to try and get down to the rec before the hard water season to get some bass or pike and if that fails then continue working on that gobie population. i was down there today and not a bite.

I was in Dain City, west side, between the train bridge and Forks Rd. Threw spinners, cranks, spoons, plastics, you name it. Finally managed the gobies to show Steve what they looked like.

Nice going Scott ! There's something facinating about the mirrow carp ......every one of them has a different pattern of scales/skin .....sort of a one of a kind thing . I hope I catch one some day , it's been many years since my last mirror which I caught near the west end of L.Moodie .

It was a complete fluke, Dan. If you look under the fish, on the ground, you can see my iPod laying in the wet grass. I was just so damn excited about catching a mirror, I almost fell in trying to get him out. I even ended the fishing day on that high note, letting Steve take over my spot, which was producing better than the swim I'd baited for him (that might have something to do with how I've pretty much baited the same area every week all summer. The carp pretty much stay in that one area now, which saves me some waiting time most days).

Hammer carp explained why mirror carp happen , just a flook of dna etc., which might be compared to albinos or hairless dogs . Mutations happen to earthly creatures and I'm sure the best is yet to come as we humans delve into the world of dna. We have done wonders in the agricultural field , crossing all types of produce ,even growing seedless ,square watermellons ! I don't know if the fall carp fishing is productive , but I will give it my best shot in the coming weeks ....... :Gonefishing:

(mirror rorrim on the llaw) :o

ive gotten a few small carp in there myself. it was a blast.

I caught one a few weeks ago, was every bit as wide as me. The only camera I had was my phone, and it was getting dark. The guy who lives at the end of the street took the picture, but you can barely see me. Fish went from my shoulder to my waist, and anyone who's met me in person knows this, but that's every bit of 26", maybe a little more.

Archived