New Lake Erie Threat

Dan Andrews

Don't worry Dan as long as you don't look like an injured seal you should be good, would make for some intense bank fishing though.

Dan did you play it cool or did you b-line it to shore? Also, I didn't know you had a yellow kayak...hehe

whats funny about that picture tho is it says the kayak and the shark are both about 4 metres...yet the shark looks so much bigger.

Having a shark that size approach while in a small craft would definitely have my heart racing.

And a shark attack in fresh water, although unlikely, is not unheard of. Two of the famous "Jersey Shore" attacks in 1916 occurred in Matawan Creek some 16 miles inland, and resulted in three deaths. I think Lake Erie should be safe though. All the same, maybe you should get a rear-view mirror for your kayak?

correct me if I am wrong but the only shark that is capable of going in to fresh water for short while is the Bull shark, but I think where good, just in case we need a test dummie, shots not!

The bull shark can survive in fresh water indefinitely because they can adjust the salinity of the water in their tissues. They have been found in the Mississippi and the Ohio Rivers as far north as Illinois and Indiana respectively. In South American rivers they have been found 2000 miles inland. So in theory, it would be possible for one to find its way to Lake Ontario, but once again, I think Erie is safe.

yeah compared to Lake O, lake E is not as connected to the ocean, phew, but still should send some one to check I still shots not.

yeah compared to Lake O, lake E is not as connected to the ocean, phew, but still should send some one to check I still shots not.

There's only 8 locks difference between the two lakes. How many locks does an adult fish have to travel through to reach Lake Ontario? Lampreys do it all the time right?

Out of the nearly 250 alien invaders discovered in Lake Erie there are some weird ones like the huge halibut they captured. It's likely it was brought through as a juvenile but we'll never know. It's interesting what you learn when you go to these stakeholders meetings. John Cooper used to have them for the Lake Erie management unit all the time. Maybe we should ask Marion Daniels to bring some weird facts when she speaks at the Game and Fish this months meeting for the Lake Ontario Management unit.

Greenland sharks, and other marine fauna including belugas and orcas often make their way upstream in the St Lawrence, occasionally but rarely as far as Montreal. That is because the river is tidal below Trois Rivieres, which means that it is affected by ocean tides; this stretch therefore also tends to have sufficient salinity to support salt water life.

as was mentioned earlier the locks really are not fish barriers at all...think about how far some of those salmon make it up in the fall!

What is it? If I hooked one of those I would know what to do with it?

Its a Shovelnose Shark (Australia). Only a baby male (you can tell by the 'claspers' coming from its sides). I have a picture of a full-grown one somewhere.

Here:

DSCF41201.jpg

Archived