Incredibly Exciting News.

ron4blues

Great news ! I usually see a pair of eagles when I fish the lower Grand River while trolling for walleye . I saw a beauty while driving west bound on the QEW at Ontario St.about 15 yrs ago . It was flying very low over the old GM plant heading south and I got a very good look at it . Last fall I saw a very large bird land in a tree at Beaverdams on the other side of the lake , which may have been an eagle or osprey . I hope these birds have young ones and survive !

I know where to find Eagles but won't say because the cameras drive them away. People go nuts and start following them around. Hopefully these two Hammer eagles are already used to the attention but they never stay long in FE due to excited birders. :pardon:

Apparently the closest approach (on foot) to this nest is some 400 meters, which I hope will be enough. I guess some raptors get used to humans too: the peregrines in Hamilton seem to have adapted quite well.

Around Kitchener we have several Peregrine nest sites along the Grand river The one has a web cam setup and you can watch live video streams. I watched last year, I will see if I can find the web page and post it, it was great to watch them hatch the start growing.

Speedytg

Around Kitchener we have several Peregrine nest sites along the Grand river The one has a web cam setup and you can watch live video streams. I watched last year, I will see if I can find the web page and post it, it was great to watch them hatch the start growing.

They do the same for the Hamilton Sheraton peregrines. I've seen them many times, often very close up.

I'm surprised they're not in their nests already. Or maybe the cameras are just not on yet. The falcons here in Hamilton stayed around all winter this year, which was surprising. I'd be going to work in the morning and hear their cries as they flew over. Several times I've seen the young ones resting on a building canopy or lamp post, especially when they were just learning their way around. They are very used to humans, as the "Falcon Watch" group is always on hand to rescue the chicks if they get into trouble, and all of the chicks get removed from the nest for banding and a visit to the vet; so far there's been no problems with successfully returning them to their parents. A few years ago, one of the young ones injured itself in a fall (it wasn't fledged yet), and wound up with the vet for 2-3 weeks, but it was also successfully returned to the nest.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As an update, Madame X and Surge (Hamilton's downtown resident peregrines) are the proud parents of three balls of down. I spent twenty minutes this afternoon watching them on the CCTV they have in Jackson Square. Madame X was busy feeding the young one while Surge was off hunting. The camera feed this year is much better thanks to new equipment, and it was truly awesome to watch the diligent mom tending to her brood. The on-line feed is just as amazing!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The chicks are growing fast. They're very active too. Last week they were balls of white down, now they already have their flight feathers. Won't be long before the fun starts and mom and dad start teaching them to hunt.

And the two male chicks took their first flights yesterday! My office building is next to the Sheraton, so this morning I was treated to a display by the two brothers. Quite impressive for a pair of birds that only took to the wing 12 hours before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Hamilton Sheraton peregrines are now fully fledged. They're still around, but seldom are seen at the nest. All three of the youngsters are by all accounts doing well.

I haven't heard anything recently about the Cootes Eagles, but I do see them occasionally.

Archived