Here Ya Go "ice Boom"

Dan Andrews

For all you anglers who wonder why there's hardly any fish in the Upper Niagara River. There are a few more cormorants every year and there seems to be nothing stopping them from overpopulating and devastating the fisheries here. Take a look at this video and tell me a bunch of guys with shotguns could actually make a dent now. I think it's too late :unsure:

Great video Dan, sad to see all those black @^%$ birds. Those ruins of the old Erie Beach dance hall have been famous for ripping up boats of those unwary sailors for many years and will coninue to do so................Great spot for ba$$ tho.

Good cormoRANT there Dan ! I have been ranting about these killing machines for a few years . I have seen them in huge clouds of thousands at Quinte and seen them eating hundreds of perch at the Port Marina . Nice shots of the ice and area ! Great to have a decent camera that zooms & pauses while filming .

Great vid Chilli, do you worry about crossing into US waters out there? Or is it not a big deal as long as you've got your docs?

I don't bring my passport or anything. The only thing I have to worry about is touching US soil. As long as I stay in the water I'm OK. I plan on buying my NY fishing licence today with money made from the site as I have recently just broke even on my purchase of this fine community :). If you guys would visit our sponsor forum more often I may be able to renew that licence by October :P I don't ever drop a line on the US water though because I haven't a licence yet and yes I worry about that when approaching the center of the river as the boundary is straight not just on the center of the river. I'm always waiting for the day that I drift too far without realizing and the coast guard come to visit me.

That prop was about 4-5 feet deep. Too cold to salvage just yet but if someone doesn't beat me to it I'll grab that one. I may even know who it belongs to. I had a fellow tell me during the summer of a boating trip gone wrong and somewhere on the Waverly shoal he had his prop ripped off. Looks stainless to me :)

I'd never have fun shooting cormorants or anything alive for that matter. I get no enjoyment out of killing until the pepperettes are ready but the situation has hit a sad state now and it's only going to get worse. All the people who enjoy the Niagara Parks and sided with the cormorant defender groups are going to be ashamed within the next decade. It's going to be a sad mess there soon :(

Hey guys thanks for the "props" on my video :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well today they're working on the final stages of removal. I was out trying to snag that prop I found when along came this barge with a crane on it.

005.jpg

I paddled over for a closer look and some pictures and they retaliated by taking pictures of me. I couldn't shine them a mooner in the kayak so I waved and went on my way (Batteries died in my camera :( )

Archived