Outboard Mechanic?

Frank81

I got an old mid 70's Johnson outboard that runs, but runs rough due to the coil? arching and it stalls, the thing is in need of a tune up, and the steering is pretty stiff, it use to be a lot more free.

I am just wondering if anyone here repairs or knows of anyone that repairs old outboards for a decent price, like under $75.00 an hour :wall: would be nice.

Thanks!

-Frank

the steering should just need greased,does it have fittings?I know of 2 repair places under $75/hour to stay away from!

Yes you are correct, there is fittings, it looks well greased but I am not sure when it was last done (not originally my motor) but I'll be sure to do that myself.

I am wondering if I would be able to just fix this thing myself.

most likely older outboards are simple... except from the good old straight 6s "the tower of power" 3 seperate carbs=timing nightmare

anyways pick up, a repair manual and it will walk you through the whole thing...

if your boat is up north take it to stewarts there pretty good with older stuff and fairly reasonable!

most likely older outboards are simple... except from the good old straight 6s "the tower of power" 3 seperate carbs=timing nightmare

anyways pick up, a repair manual and it will walk you through the whole thing...

if your boat is up north take it to stewarts there pretty good with older stuff and fairly reasonable!

Well, I guess I'll attempt it myself haha.

I would try Stewarts, but I just lugged this motor from Emsdale to Welland yesterday lol but if I have no luck fixing it myself or getting it fixed then I'll try you're recommendation. Now to find the proper manual, that'll be my task tomorrow.

Thanks for the input guys.

Having a hard time finding a repair manual, I downloaded one online but it clearly is not the same motor as I am dealing with, so if anyone knows of any one that would have a 1975 Johnson 25 Horse Outboard Model # 25R75B repair manual that I can borrow, or photocopy that would be great!

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Having a hard time finding a repair manual, I downloaded one online but it clearly is not the same motor as I am dealing with, so if anyone knows of any one that would have a 1975 Johnson 25 Horse Outboard Model # 25R75B repair manual that I can borrow, or photocopy that would be great!

Thanks

The reason you are having a hard time finding a manual for it is because the motor you have also has a counterpart. Try looking for evinrude 25 hp outboard manuals. Jonhson and Evinrude are pretty well identical motor/parts. If you search ebay you will see Johnson/evinrude together, like so in their parts listings. Everything you need to know or want to know is available on iboats.com. The guys on there have manuals you can't find anywhere. you just have to ask nicely. But remember when you ask someone a question make sure it is posted in the right section of the forum. The mods on the site have more anal tendencies than some pr0n stars do. Good luck hope this helps.

The reason you are having a hard time finding a manual for it is because the motor you have also has a counterpart. Try looking for evinrude 25 hp outboard manuals. Jonhson and Evinrude are pretty well identical motor/parts. If you search ebay you will see Johnson/evinrude together, like so in their parts listings. Everything you need to know or want to know is available on iboats.com. The guys on there have manuals you can't find anywhere. you just have to ask nicely. But remember when you ask someone a question make sure it is posted in the right section of the forum. The mods on the site have more anal tendencies than some pr0n stars do. Good luck hope this helps.

I didn't even think of asking on the forums.

Thanks a lot for the info and the heads up, I will be doing that today.

Cheers!

Archived