New Aquarium

dr_feelgood

I just set up a new to me aquarium and we are hoping to put puffer fish in it. Anyone here have any background with them? The tank has been turned brackish. The dimensions are 20" wide, 18" deep and 28" high. The height of the tank is a pain due to arms shorter than 28".

Figure eight? Let me know what species I have years of experience with almost everything. For puffers you will need snails. A puffer is sort of like a beaver he needs to chew snails in order for his beak to weaken. Also some "brackish" puffers are actually better in freshwater.

I have heard too many different opinions form different pet shops. Just mind boggling, 2 shops said my tank was a 73 gallon, both used different formulas to come up with the number. We are not set on any one type of puffer. Right now I only have 3 teaspoons of salt in the tank until we decide what we are getting. I like the Amazon puffers, just not sure if I can get any around the Falls.

I have heard too many different opinions form different pet shops. Just mind boggling, 2 shops said my tank was a 73 gallon, both used different formulas to come up with the number. We are not set on any one type of puffer. Right now I only have 3 teaspoons of salt in the tank until we decide what we are getting. I like the Amazon puffers, just not sure if I can get any around the Falls.

Your tank is 36 imperial / british gallons. or about 60 US gallons

your tank 20x18x28 = 10080 cubic inches

1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot

6.23 Imp.gallons in a cubic foot

so (10080 / 1728) x 6.23 = 36.34 Imp gallons

or

7.5 US galons in a cubic foot

so (10080 / 1728 ) x 7.5 = 43.75 US gallons

I had just guesstimated the US gallons sorry.

I knew the salinity, it has only been running since Friday and the salt was added Saturday. The fish store near me said to let it run for a week then bring them a water sample. I know they are going to tell me I need this that and another chemical to treat my water. Other than the salt, all we have added is nutrifin cycle and aqua plus.

Yeah all the chemicals they will try to get you to buy is crap. All you need is a good group of bacteria from cycling the tank and your doing that with nutrafin. Just watch for ammonia spikes in the water when you do add fish. And your have your dechlorinator so your set. Are you doing plants or anything special with it?

Guy next door has a beautiful salt water tank with about 6 fish about 5" long each .....don't know what they are , but I was surprised at how warm the water was when I fed them for him while he was away . The food he uses is frozen shrimp which is kept in the freezer , thawed out in a cup of the warm aquarium water & dumped in the tank when thawed . The pump quickly disperses the shrimp all over the tank and the beautifully coloured fish go on a feeding frenzy for about 5 minutes . His tank is full of nice rocks where the fish can hide .....I heard salt water tanks need a lot of attention and must be kept up to exact standards to keep the fish healthy . I used to keep local fish like sunfish & gills in a cold water tank .Good luck Paul .

for help with your fish and tank, try the st.catharines and area aquarium society. www.scaas.info they dont have a web based forum, but they meet once a month in thorold. im sure a couple of the members have puffers. they also have an auction at each meeting, lots of great deals on fish/plants and equipment

6?! Hrmmm. I've always loved puffers, but a lot of them get big, and a lot of them have major repressed anger issues, I sure hope yours don't start tearing into eachother. You also should be raising snails, or feeding them stuff like chunks of shrimp with the shell on, or their teeth will get too long for them to eat. Keep an eye on your water, they're messy eaters, and big waste producers so you're going to need lots of cleaning. I'm fond of over-filtration, to the tune of double filters. Also, brackish water might be hard to grow plants in. Hope your fish do great, they are gorgeous, and I'm totally jealous! If funds allowed, I'd have my very own fish room, with about a bazillion tanks... gotta do something during the winter, lol.

Archived