Short Hills Deer Hunt

smerchly

I like the way you write Blair ......you know how to use words in both a real sense and in an abstract way .....lol

Getting emotional over politics is truly a waste of BCE ....(brain cell energy)

Tomorrow is a new day , with new news , whatever that may be ........C'est cera cera .

And good night Miss Kalabash .......wherever you are ....... :mellow: ........(think I just dated myself)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh crud..... I am an old fart........I recognize that as the ending of Jimmy Durante's show

And even worse I know it's "Mrs. Calabash"

Oh well....fill up the glass and return to the room

HERE is more to STIR the POT

The aboriginal-only deer hunt at Short Hills Provincial Park will come with a price tag.

Thirteen unionized Ministry of Natural Resources employees were either paid overtime or given time off in lieu for the hours they put in keeping people out of the 1,800-acre park Saturday and Sunday.

Questions have been raised about who was paying for the policing costs of the Haudenonsaunee Confederacy’s deer harvest, which was held last weekend and again this Saturday and Sunday. The hunt came at the request of the First Nations, who were exercising their legal treaty rights to hunt on crown land.

The Ontario Provincial Police, Niagara Regional Police and MNR were all on site throughout the weekend keeping an eye on the First Nations hunters and protesters that gathered to voice their opinions against it.

Jolanta Kowalski, a spokeswoman for the MNR, said 20 employees were working on the weekend.

“Protecting public safety is our first priority, so that’s why the park was closed and why it will be closed again this coming weekend,” she said. “Staff were stationed at park access points and they also did patrols.”

Of the 20 MNR employees, 13 were unionized workers who will receive either overtime or time off and seven were managers, who won’t get any extra pay for their time, according to Kowalski.

“Public safety requires people when you have a huge park like this,” she said, adding that a similar number of staff members will be on site this weekend.

Kowalski said the Haudenosaunee community won’t be asked to pay for the extra labour costs.

The OPP, which has jurisdiction inside the park, had one officer on site Saturday. Staff Sgt. Jan Idzenga, who handles media relations for the Niagara Falls OPP detachment, was also at the park briefly Saturday, but was already scheduled to work because of the planned Idle No More protest at the Peace Bridge.

The other OPP officer was originally supposed to work a night shift, but came in during the day instead, so no overtime will have to be paid, Idzenga said.

The NRP also had numerous officers in the area.

“The Niagara Regional Police Service has assisted in ensuring road safety in the areas surrounding this event,” said Const. Derek Watson.

However, he said no overtime was being paid. “There has been no addition cost incurred,” he said.

I strongly disagree with this. They should have warned the public and then left the native hunters to call for help if they needed it like the rest of us. The only reason they should have to give notice is because normally the park isn't hunted and it out of our regular season.

Then if anyone interrupted this legal hunt intentionally the ministry should lay the charges and follow it through setting an example with the strongest financial penalty possible. that way the circus ends up in the courts instead of the countryside. The signage and public notice should have been enough (providing they didn't try to keep it quiet and give sufficient notice.

This park should have never been closed. The public is supposed to stay on the trails and there's plenty of room left for archery. The NPCA doesn't close similar parks or give notice, post signs or hire extra security for hunting in their Niagara Parks and no one gets hurt because the hunters know what's at stake.

Cliff can I post a link to my story now that it's been published? I don't make a dime on it

Dan

the post I made was from the St. Catherines Standard which was not NOTED by me, that started a pissing match withsome one who's only opinion matter's I guess. And G put a hold on it. If u notice I have done that post,the redneck one and to pike ,I guess he thought I was stirring the pot with that letter????

And said I was F@#$ ed but that's ok I will wait this out, paybacks a B@#$%

Also Dan u can email me ur story I just like to read and I will send my comment's to u only, And thank's for ur in put on a 2 sided story

theirs and his

I seem to have missed the pissing match. I was just saying I disagree with all the security. The whole thing is bloody silly and any pissing match that happens here just makes us all look like kids.

Whatever you said I have no problem with it. And the redneck comment is cool too.

I think "sometimes"... people just dont read the ENTIRE POST in it's CONTEXT and CRONOLOGICAL ORDER!

lol ( well ... it's not funny.. but were only human, right?)

Never one to be "perfect" (just ask my wife) ... but it is important to READ before one Posts.

Hopefully no harm done.

I think opinions are expressed with great decorum on this forum.

Dont have to always agree...

Nice to have multiple thoughts on things.

Makes the BRAIN WORK!

Smerch, I get all (most) your OLD TIME REFERENCES ... thanks to my Mom & Dad.

I can go all the way back to the 20's right into the present.

We didnt even have a Colour TV until 1975.

Used to watch all the old musicals, listen to BOSTON BLACKIE on the Radio...

Then of course went through the Flower generation, Nam... oil crisis... Reaganomics ("Trickle Down")

Hair Metal ... Grundge ... Y2k...

*SMILES*

Certainly dont know everything.... but very glad I have had the opportunity to be exposed to so much of our history.

Makes OLD GUYS like you OKAY!

lol

It's good to have people on this forum of all ages . Old codgers like me are learning new perspectives from the younger people who have fresh ideas without the clutter we older guys have from the past . I have seen a lot of change over the years and the laws keep getting more complicated as time moves on . The guy who was charged for defending himself from the fire bombers is a good example how a case can turn into a circus because the cops wanted to prove a point about citizens defending themselves legally ......a real hayday payday for the legal eagles ( vultures). This hunt is another example how divisive our society has become .....

The Day that CANADA ... STOPS to appreciate and understand that we are made of MULTI CULTURES - all based in the same beautiful country, is the DAY that we become intollerant idiots!

The natives were first, then came all those who also SOUGHT a BETTER LIFE.

Sounds like a great Combo to me.

At least we can still laugh at ourselves (Mostly)

Truly a CANADIAN QUALITY! (all Canadians)

HA HA!

If u would like to see some sick people debate this go on line and read Sat last day for hunt, st,cath.standard then read comments all 195 they make us look like SUNDAY school kids to them

If u would like to see some sick people debate this go on line and read Sat last day for hunt, st,cath.standard then read comments all 195 they make us look like SUNDAY school kids to them

Ha! As soon as I saw the article I laughed. " Deer were spotted grazing " deer aren't grazers, they're browsers. The misinformation began with the first line.

Ok on line this is from the PAPER comming out for Monday. Also give me 2 days in short hills and I would get more than 7

First Nations hunters expect a return to Short Hills Provincial Park for another deer hunt next year despite demonstrations by protestors over two weekends.

Haudenosaunee Confederacy spokesman Paul Williams said an overpopulation of deer in the park, safe surroundings and lack of access to many other hunting areas made Short Hills a good spot.

“Despite having the treaty rights, we don’t have the access,” he said, explaining it’s rare the confederacy gets permission to hunt on private property, limiting its options.

“A place like this has the advantage of having a hyper population of deer.”

The legal deer harvest was the first of its kind at the park and was carried out by members of the Haudenosaunee, exercising their treaty rights to hunt on Crown land.

The second weekend of a controversial deer hunt saw peaceful protesters gathered at various access points around the closed park on Saturday and Sunday.

Williams said the hunt using archery, was held later than anticipated because of paperwork issues.

“If we’re back next year we’ll hunt earlier and meet with neighbours and other local people earlier,” Williams said.

“We’re learning as we go along.”

The hunters, 15 on Saturday and 11 on Sunday, killed a total three deer on the weekend.

Williams said low harvest numbers, despite an overpopulation, was due to limiting participation to experienced hunters and not taking any risky shots. He said participants were instructed to only take “sure shots” to avoid wounding deer at the park.

Like the weekend before, Ontario Provincial Police, Niagara Regional Police and Ministry of Natural Resources were at the park.

Brian Huis, a senior parks planner with the ministry, said ministry officials were covering off all access points, making sure everyone was aware they couldn’t go into the park. There were no incidents.

The NRP, meanwhile, had Pelham Rd. closed to vehicles between Third and Fifth St. where the entrance at Scout Camp Road was being used by the hunters. St. Sgt. Dan Nadeau said the road is a busy one and the closure was done for the safety of pedestrians who were walking to the entrance to protest.

Individual protestors’ reasons for opposing the hunt were diverse, including those opposed to hunting, those opposed to using a provincial park for a hunt and to those who wanted to be allowed to hunt too.

“It’s just as wrong this weekend as last week,” said Robin Zavitz, a Pelham resident who launched a petition against the hunt and collected over 1,600 signatures.

“We don’t want to see this become an annual event at Short Hills Provincial Park. It’s no place for a hunt.”

Zavitz was among a larger group of 30 people at the Scout Camp Entrance on Saturday that was growing as the hunt wound down for nightfall.

“We’re not opposed to their rights,” said Jennifer Fleury of St. Catharines. “We’re opposed to where they are doing it.”

Fleury said the park is sacred to residents who go there to bike and walk in peace.

Around other parts of the park, non-aboriginal hunters could be seen protesting through the morning and afternoon at Eller Rd. and Decew Rd.

“Provincial parks should be off limits,” said Tara Colledge of Niagara Falls. “And if they’re going to do it, they should do it for everybody.”

Although protests last weekend didn’t stop the hunt, protestors were hopeful their voices would be heard.

“If nobody’s here to protest it then they’re just going to continue it next year,” said her husband Rick Colledge, holding a neon sign that said “Stop hunting in our parks.”

All that blabber over 3 deer all wknd, jeez i bet more were roadkill this wknd. ...Anyways im a strong supporter of the native community, and i really hope they are granted a hunt next year. I wonder if they were allowed to bag coyotes while they were out there, i dont see why not.????

All that blabber over 3 deer all wknd, jeez i bet more were roadkill this wknd. ...Anyways im a strong supporter of the native community, and i really hope they are granted a hunt next year. I wonder if they were allowed to bag coyotes while they were out there, i dont see why not.????

Yep....4 days of hunting with 15 guys doesn't do much to change a thing . If shotguns were used I think the count would be higher......to a point ( I'm arguing with myself).......Guns can also scare the other deer away . If they are serious about reducing the number of deer , either let them use guns or make it a week long hunt next year with more hunters , and allow the farmers to do some thinning themselves.

Yep....4 days of hunting with 15 guys doesn't do much to change a thing . If shotguns were used I think the count would be higher......to a point ( I'm arguing with myself).......Guns can also scare the other deer away . If they are serious about reducing the number of deer , either let them use guns or make it a week long hunt next year with more hunters , and allow the farmers to do some thinning themselves.

Yes maybe a seperate week or wknd for farmers could work. I wonder if there was a ever a thought about relocating deer , maybe trapping them or shooting them with a tranqelizer and move them to a spot with less deer pops, just a thought ???

I think that if they changed their ethics and "stragedy" in which they approached this area they would have had a higher success rate cause if they were hunting from the ground, with a bow, with a whole bunch of other guys walking through other parts of the bush....that right there would tell me why they only shot 3 deer in 2 days....kinda of like hunting the controlled deer hunt with a bow. just my 2 cents ;)

I wish they would just shoot does. I saw a picture on OOD forum with a great buck that the natives took. My buddy had a picture of it on his trail cam on the property he hunts next to the park a couple days before the end of this season. He was excited to see if it would show next year. Alas...it is no more.

Mooseslayer:

If you are using Picturetrail just copy and paste each individual photo from your album....don't copy the url. In your case it didn't work with this address.

• 2 weeks later...

If I could only get permission to hunt the field and woods behind my place.. Seen 8 last night... including a massive buck... 10+

I could shoot them from my back deck...thats how close they are..... It drives me insane I dont have permission yet.. (town mayor owns the property)....

I could bait them onto my property.... but cant shoot them

Ugh..

I love venison, and have ample opportunity to fill the freezer...

It is almost like being in a store wanting something... but not enough cash in the wallet to pay for it...

and they dont take credit cards..

G

Archived