Hittin Port D Again Today

Netmaniskey

Well been there twice pier chuckin spoons with no luck while watching guys around me get some bows on the line using streamers and roe. So took a trip this morning to go see Greg at bills bait and tackle (great guy always willing to help). So changing tactics today with streamers and roe now that I know how to fish em. Will post report later hope I can get a fish on

Well when I showed up two guys just finished reelin in their 3rd bow with streamers. I set up and started fishin used all different colours of steamers and pink roe bags with some float in them. Tried for about four hours with no luck. A couple guys in a Lund boat that kept drifting by got a nice brown. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong lol. Meh a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day of work!!!!

As well I drove from there to try and find the whirlpool and drive all the way past it and couldn't finder where to park or the trail down is. If anyone could point me in the right direction there too

look for the whirlpool golfcorse, the parking lot if just abit after that on the left (if your coming from queenston) the trail is just off to the right of the parking lot, just look for the bike rack and you will see the stairs down

when bottom bouncing, tie your main line to a 3 way swivel, tie about a foot of lighter line to the bottom swivel to a weight, anywhere from 3/4 to an ounce, just depends on the current. then to a 4 foot to 7 foot leader line to your bait, cast to your 10, and then drift to your 4. just keep line tension and youl eventually get hits.

i pulled into port d today, just in time to get a huge buck pulled in, i started to set up but got call from the girlfriend to come get her, so didnt get a chance to fish. but there were alot of people there today it seemed

Ya I'm gonna keep working at it. I think my persistence will pay off. Thanks for

All the tips guys

it will, i had the hardest time getting my first fish from port d, but eventually i got one and its been good since,

The hardest thing about that spot is finding the right amount of weight, enough to get it down deep but not so much that you have a snag on every cast once you have that figured out its just a matter of time.

The hardest part of bottom bouncing is getting the weight right, try first with split shot by adding another shot till you feel the bottom as the current moves it. If you get hung up to much then remove one, eventually you will be able to judge the amount you need and use pencil weights. Try not to use too long a leader and it will be easier to manage. Good luck mate.

by the way how did you make out today.

I was there yesterday afternoon and saw two guys pull out some big bows. One with a roe bag and one with a small pink plastic minnow.

I think one of that two guys are me -_- (asian one)

we did end up catching few more that day... and it was 6" plastic minnow..

As most people have already suggested to bring your lure close to the bottom without getting snagged applying slow retrieve. The issue is how close to the bottoms?

I took a beginner angler last november and december to the whirlpool, explained the same technique, He was already using very heavy spoon in tghe first place, he still kept on asking me how does he know his lures almost hit the bottom. I have to be willing to lose some lures.

When he finally got snagged, I gave him pointers on how to potentially untangle it , but no guarantee of its success, so he started to go first to left side against the direction of the cast, then tried the right side against the cast, when he finally untangled it...........Fish on!. That was his first trout ever fishing on faster moving current. SInce the six times in a row we were able to fish NIagara(if the water and weather conditions permits). he has yet to get skunk, however he losses lot of tackle of course.

so do you want your weight to still be moving with the current no mater how much weight i use i cant seem to get it to stop

No u want your weight to bounce across the bottom usually you use between half ounce and ounce weights i use 3/4. But yeah u dont want to stop it from drifting with the current

yes smatone2k you want it to keep moving with the current, you should feel it ticking the bottom as it moves, when it gets to the end of the drift the current will lift it off the bottom and pull it to the side. DONT be tempted to open the bail at the end of the drift and let it go further down you will just annoy others fishing further down from you and end up getting tangled with their lines. BE RESPECTFUL. Watch others down from you and co-ordinate your casts with theirs and you will have a more enjoyable time.

Archived