Controlling A Yak While Casting To Shoreline?

Icehut

So, I've been paddling about in a yak for a decade or so, but have never really enjoyed fishing from one.

By fishing I mean covering shoreline of small ponds and reservoirs, casting to structure.

I find the yak wanders all over the place, with the slightest propulsion from wind or paddle, even retrieving a lure, so after a cast or two you're into the shoreline and spooking everything.

Then you have to put the rod down and paddle out and try to do it all over again.

How is one supposed to keep the thing running parallel to shore so one can fish efficiently?

Those fishing from yaks; are you anchoring, trolling, using an electric motor, or what?

Thanks for any help.

the one and only time i fished from a yak i used the wind to my advantage, slight wind kept me along the shoreline a good distance and kept me going on at a slow speed, i find it did wander abit, but generally i didnt have an issue. i really enjoyed my experience fishing in the yak,

I fish in rivers from a kayak all the time. Rivers with current! LOL! I find I can make small corrections with a single paddle stroke holding the paddle in one hand and a rod in the other. I can even steer by making a cast in the direction I want the nose of the kayak to go and pulling on the lure through the water. I try to keep my distance from shore so I don't have too much of an issue with being out of position.

yeah, its a b itch but you'll get used to it eventually. learn to paddle with one hand. Do you have a SOT or a SINK? because one thing I do is when I'm in an area with current and I want to drift while still facing shore; I sit sideways, put my feet in the water and do the egg beater with my feet to help keep situated. I'ts not perfect, but helps.

Also, I'd avoid using an anchor unless you plan on hunkering down in an area for awhile. having to dredge the bottom with your anchor and pulling it up covered in weeds every time you want to reposition gets to be quite tedious. (I gave it up all together). even with an anchor and good trollie system, you will still wander around quite a bit.

keep at it, you'll get it and eventually learn to do all the little one hand manoevers like second nature. The benefits of kayak angling definitely outweigh the negatives and the challenge of it just makes it much more worth while.

I use a drift sock, made a small one out of tarp from the dollar store. you can even use a bait bucket in the water to slow you down

Interesting replies, thanks all.

Fishing in current, that's pretty cool. I can't even imagine how that works; I'm busy watching for rocks, sweepers, etc. Seems like a good way to drown.

My boat is a sit-in, Liberty 13. Fantastic for river runs, ponds, and I've even taken it onto the Great Lakes.

Fine for trolling or fishing anchored, but just a total nuisance to fish any other way in the damn thing.

• 1 month later...

Buy a Hobbie hehehehe

Can't peddle backwards :P

Some guys keep a small one handed paddle just for the odd correction or to turn the bow and make stroke or two. I use a small 18" drift sock, moving the tie off point around the boat will keep you at different angles to the wind.

If it's shallow enough just bring a piece of small PVC pipe or hockey stick to use as a stake out pole.

• 3 months later...

Ping pong paddles work well for hand paddles.... I have the drift sock on a pulley mounted to the front of the boat. I have a small anchor on the back, same type of pulley, if there is a current I can then drop the anchor and sock and be pointed correctly.

• 3 months later...

you could try for a drag chain type anchor or a stake out pole. an inexpensive stake out pole can be made by cutting off the cup from a golf ball retriever. They retract pretty small for storage and the aluminum tubing is strong enough to hold. The drag chain draws off of the sock idea whereas instead of stopping yourself, youre just slowing your drift to keep you in a spot longer. Or get a kayak with a rudder :pardon:

Archived