Sault Ste Marie Atlantic Trip

Craiger

Hey guys we just got back from a 3 day Salar trip in northern ontario. It was very tough fishing and I only hooked 3 and landed 1 the whole time there. Only heard of a couple more landed as well. The run seems late this year for some reason. Hardly saw any fish moving where they should be. Here's a few pics of our trip. Had a blast still even though it was that tough. Getting that one to hand made it all worth while...:)

Craig

IMG_20130715_190711_zps5f9bed75.jpg

IMG_20130718_001730_zpsdb88b280.jpg

Picture1_zpsc96435ea.png

IMG_20130707_165215_zpsa7fb5bcf.jpg

IMG_20130708_234534_zpseca9ffba.jpg

IMG_20130711_054137_zps71638716.jpg

congrats on the fish! hasnt been much happening up here lately, the atlantics are coming in really think this week, but the mid 40 days mixed with the thunderstorms the past few days have the fish all over the place, as for everything being late, thats very true, iv talked to alot of guys here and everyone says the same thing, late late late,

At least you got one...I agree on the great collection of flys. Thanks for the report !!!!

Thanks guys...wish I could go up in two weeks again. Would be killer!! The key for me was a riffle hitched muddler...very small and sparse. They exploded on it which is probably why I lost the other two...:). Still fun though. My buddy had a huge fish pull near the mouth of the rapids on a big baitfish pattern but unbuttoned itself as well.

Thanks guys...wish I could go up in two weeks again. Would be killer!! The key for me was a riffle hitched muddler...very small and sparse. They exploded on it which is probably why I lost the other two... :). Still fun though. My buddy had a huge fish pull near the mouth of the rapids on a big baitfish pattern but unbuttoned itself as well.

caught the fish in action taking air.

nice.

muddler is the bomb up there! that's what we found too. little size 12, nearly bald critters.

that being said, do you think the riffle hitch made that much of a difference or would the same effect be had just by swinging the muddler? being naturally lazy efficient, i was wondering if i could save myself the laborious step of tying those hitches.

oh, and what is that interesting fly sitting in your palm in pic #4?

p.s. it's looking like we could find ourselves celebrating the next long weekend in the sault as well, so i like the reports of the salmon heading into the rapids soon!

Ola, i only did the riffle hitch first thing or later in the day on glassy runs. Just makes for more exciting takes. Swinging them without the hitch works just as well but just gets them down too far to see the take.

The fly in that #4 pic is just a size 8 muddler with purple diamond braid and gold wire for the body. No takes on that one...they liked he mangled ones from last year...:P

Thanks CC, the water actually was lower then last year. I think thats why I wasn't finding fish where they normally lie. Had to do a lot of running around to find them.

That's just a tease....it was loaded when we were up there also. Not much in the rapids though. Sounds like we are going to fly up there to save time and just fish for another weekend in August...hope we can work it out...:)

That's just a tease....it was loaded when we were up there also. Not much in the rapids though. Sounds like we are going to fly up there to save time and just fish for another weekend in August...hope we can work it out... :)

when in august? if its late august, if everything finally catches up season wise you might get into some chinnys ect, that would be a blast

Looks like it might be the last week in August. The weekend before labour day weekend. I don't mind chinnies either... :)

i should still be up here around that time, it will be some amazing fishing to be had august and September. cant wait

been watching the cam since it came on this year, iv been seeing one atlantic over and over again. its been holding at the cam for probably 4 days now, its got a treble hanging from its belly, looks like he was the lucky one that got away from the snaggers

snag_zpsdadcb4e2.png

notice how the treble has the attached weight, not just a fluke,

well, there go the plans for this weekend. at least i hadn't booked any accomodations yet. (see, my parents were wrong - procrastination does pay off, if you just wait long enough)

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=70291

and to make it official:

http://ijc.org/boards/ilsbc/

guess il take a stroll down to the rapids and take a look.. this is not good news though with chinnys just starting now...

Great pictures Jordan, the water is right up past the no parking sign....so don't try to park there :rolleyes:

i know the great lakes commission is kinda a big thing around here but...i'm just a bit puzzled as to why this couldn't have waited till after the long weekend. a couple of days couldn't have made that big a difference in the water regulation that wouldn't be solved over the course of a whole month of open gates and again, it has to be a wallet-hit for the local businesses with regards to out-of-town fishers. i, for one, am glad that i procrastinated long enough that i didn't book our rooms. i was literally going to call...right after i played on the internet-machine for a bit before actually doing something productive and got a timely tip from someone. you have to feel for anyone whole planned ahead and booked rooms, bought travel tickets or whatever. for us, it just means that we have to figure out what to do with a long weekend now that our primary plans fell through.

p.s. and daveC, that aint't no 'no parking' sign there. that is one of the signs on top of the berms advising 'no fishing' at the fish passageways. last month we waded through thigh-high water to reach there and were standing on top of that berm, beside those signs, before jumping the 4 feet down to the grassy banks beside the rapids. what a difference a day makes.

p.p.s. what i wouldn't give to be able to fish that water now. the fish are going to be swarming in there and happy little fellas. anyone got a helicopter i could use?

Archived