Tube Flies

iHasFish

I'm looking online right now for a tube fly kit and I started thinking. instead of buying specific tubes, maybe I could Mcgyver something up. I tried using the empty bit of some wire (it floated like a cork, so I use it now to make strike indicators), Ive also used hairpins. Anyone have any ideas on what might work without having to go and buy something made for the job?

thanks all

I think some of the original tiers used the tube that holds the ink inside of a ballpoint pen. Get a cheap pen, pop the tube off and clean it up, cut to length, and flare the end with a lighter. It's a bit stiffer than the insulation and will be more durable. Check out this link: http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/files/tube_confusion.pdf. If you want to try metal tubes I would try a hobby shop, they often carry brass tubing in various sizes for model builders.

Those red spray nozzles from things like wd 40 should work as well. Im sure there is plenty of options. Looking at the tubes in a local shop recently they have some that enable differant cone heads to snap onto the ends.

Those red spray nozzles from things like wd 40 should work as well. Im sure there is plenty of options. Looking at the tubes in a local shop recently they have some that enable differant cone heads to snap onto the ends.

Canadian casting champion uses the red WD40 tubes...you're right Dave

I bought a bag of assorted plastic tubing meant for arts and crafts at dollarama. i sliced it lenghtwise to produce more "legs" when i tied a few floating frog paterns. it was cheap and came in a few colors, and there was enough in a bag that you probably wouldnt need any more for a few hundred ties.

• 4 weeks later...

CC you must be talking about Norman. He hooked me up with all the stuff to finally get tying tubes. Included was a few lengths of the red tubing from WD40. He also uses Q-tips. Cuts the ends off and there's your plastic tube. Just doesn't last long in the winter.

CC you must be talking about Norman. He hooked me up with all the stuff to finally get tying tubes. Included was a few lengths of the red tubing from WD40. He also uses Q-tips. Cuts the ends off and there's your plastic tube. Just doesn't last long in the winter.

Yup...we ended up talking over a few days at the Sportsman's Show last year...good guy, and we had some great laughs.

Just curious if its not a good idea to switch over to tying just tubes? I guess you can tie pretty much anything on a tube? What do you guys think? I have even seen a typical Classic spey fly tied on a tube?

I think surgical tubing tends to coil up too much and wont stay straight.short pieces might be ok, but bigger flys like intruders would have it sitting lop sided. The actual tubes you buy are not that expensive and the new ones have ends that allow the cone heads to snap on . Im sure there is many materials that would work though...

Just curious if its not a good idea to switch over to tying just tubes? I guess you can tie pretty much anything on a tube? What do you guys think? I have even seen a typical Classic spey fly tied on a tube?

The fellow on Global Fly Fisher has a whole section on tubes. From classic hairwing streamers to a muddler. I think most patterns beside dries can be tied on a tube.

Archived