Pikeflies :) - Video And New Pics Added

cdnfishguy11

I was originally going to send this as a pm but figured other people might be interested as well!

A couple people have talked to me about fly fishing for pike lately so I figured I`d post a couple flies I tie that have proven themselves time and time again!

20140128_133156_zpspcjfxiyb.jpg

20140128_133126_zpsdvefs1fh.jpg

I love playing around with new colours for Pike flies..... the combinations seem endless!

There are a few key things that need to be taken into consideration when tying flies for the toothy critters!

#1 Casting - Designing a 9" Streamer that has the large profile and casts nicely is no small feat. Materials like Magnum Strips (Rabbit) look amazing in the water but once wet they are so heavy that casting is very cumbersome. I normally use natural fibers on all my flies but the synthetics are far superior for these species. These flies remain light once wet and they do not retain water making them ideal for large applications such as this.

#2 Durability - These fish destory flies, making materials like maribou almost useless. I see alot of tiers tieing with all sorts of hackle and pretty feathers. But after a few fish they are history. Same goes with Jungle Male Appendage, its something that attracts the fisherman. I normally tie with 3d holo eyes and build an epoxy head. However these are ProTube JungleCock HD .... they are industructible.

I choose to tie all of my Streamers for these fish on Gamagatsu Single Siwash hooks Sizes 2 - 6/0 ... Because they have a heavy guage wire they are nearly industrucible and have enough weight. Since the hooks are open eye, I simply close the eye and always use a snap swivle. This gives the fly a side to side action when stripped and paused... They reamain almost neutally boyant while only falling very slowly.

Tieing the tippet onto a snap swivle is awesome not only imparting more action on the fly but also makes fly changing a brease!

The bucktail makes for a large profile and pushes a ton of water.

If you guys have any question about fly design, rods or lines or anything post up!

Lets have a good conversation about fly fishing these species!

Josh. You have learned a lot in a short period of time You remind me of the passion I had at your age when I turned the corner to being a professional fly tyer I started tying at age 9 thanks to my dad Your work has greatly improved in the past year. Keep at it my friend your doing great

Thanks alot Cliff! Means alot!

and Alex I`d be happy to toss a few your way next time we were slinging flies for pike :)

Also Im gonna work on takin a few more pictures of other colour variations for this pattern in the next couple days.

Nice work Josh !!! I have been busy tying some fly variations myself, and recently finished building a fly testing tank. The tank is giving me a whole better idea of the movement in the water. I decided Im going to dedicate this coming year to the spey and switch rods, and try and leave the float rod at home when ever its possible. As soon as I get a chance I will post up some of what I have been working on, and how they look in the test tank. Keep up the good work, those look great !!

that is awesome dave! Ive always wanted a testing tank that gives the effect of current....

I test quite a few of my flies in the laundry room sink!

Id like to see your tank set up !

When I am pike fishing I use an intermediate line almost 90% of the time, although this summer I actually used a floating line and a 10 ft intermediate tip for while.

When fishing the big streamers I use the intermediate line and only about a 24" to 36" tippet (no leader) I see lots of guys using the new age knotable wire bite tippet...but I have been using 40lb flurocarbon for the lastfew years!

The most common mistake I seen people make is leader sizing .... if you were to use a std 9ft 0x leader all the energy from the fly line would be lost by the time it reaches the fly. Basically you want the shortest leader you think you can get away with! The shorter your leader the easier your fly will turn over, the easier it turns over, the longer you cast.

However when fishing top water on a floating line I will use a 6ft. braided leader before the same tippet section. This puts more distance inbetween the bright yellow fly line and the fish... reducing the chance of me lining the fish Im casting too. The braided leader is thick enough and short enough that it transfers energy to the fly.

Something I found useful while steelie fishing in the winter has carried over to my pike fishing. I now pre all my tippets. I use a perfection loop and an improved clinch knot onto a snap swivel (not barrel) and use this for all my pike fishing. The swivel adds action, weight and makes changing flies a brease:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

very cool, some absolute monsters in this video aswell:

awesome video...I love fly fishing for pike and pickerel

• 3 weeks later...

Archived