Distance

outdoorrick

what distance does the actual fly fisher cast??? Watching fly fishing in videos and on tv is quite deceiving given the angles that cameraman use....I seem to get 20 to 40 feet (closer to 20 or 30' or so) at best when there is nothing behind me...although even that can be deceiving when not using poppers or other top water flies... thanx for any help given...btw...i'm talking on a relatively calm day...I know that there ar many variables

What type of line are you using? Weight-Forward or Double Taper?

With a weight-forward line you will barely have the head out of the line guides, and are just reaching the point where you can really be loading the rod and shooting that line. I know that for myself making a short (>20') cast can be more difficult than a longer cast where I know I'm into the running line. But I'm certainly not an expert at fly casting...

I also know that some of the saltwater guys like using shooting heads, which let them fire out long casts quickly. I don't think that shooting heads have really caught on with freshwater yet, especially when more delicate presentations and mends are required. Some of the musky/pike guys might be using them to get big flies out fast.

forgot to mention that I'm using #7 and#8 weght lines..more into bass and pike using heavier flies so the line does go farther ...I use 6wt for small streamers and poppers for panfish...hot concerned about small streams since there isn't enough room to push past 20'...the streams are svery small

I'm planing to get into fly fishing this summer for pike and bass.. What kind of line should I Use and what is the diffrence between a bigger and smaller reel besides the obvious?

take a lesson Hayden. Getting into it, and getting into it educated are two things that will keep you from buying the wrong stuff, and learning the right way.

I always wanted to play flamingo guitar, until I took lessons and decided I better stick to the air guitar...LOL

I'm planing to get into fly fishing this summer for pike and bass.. What kind of line should I Use and what is the diffrence between a bigger and smaller reel besides the obvious?

when fishing for bass and pike, a large arbour (big) reel is completely unneccesary simply due to the fact that those fish don't really run much. Think of your fly reel as nothing more than line storage. With the fly line you choose (probably a 7 or 8 weight forward floating line) which wont be longer than 100 ft max, you wont need much backing, so a smaller reel (still matched to the line weight) will be just fine and much lighter too, making casting a lot easier. As for the line you should use, I prefer a double taper because I do a lot of roll casting and spey style casting which is an absolutely necessary skill when fishing in small quarters with no room to back cast. You would be fine with a $40 weight forward floating line from most companies. I love Orvis and Rio, mostly because of the fact they have a welded front loop to attach to your leader.

whatever you choose, a lesson is a good idea and will save a ton of frustration

I agree with Dave C. Take some lessons and practice. If you learn to cast properly and have a well balance rod and line you will be able to cast fairly long distance. However for bass and pike you won't need to cast much farther than 40 ft. Many bass and pike flies are large and bulky so I would recommend learning to double haul. this allows you to punch through the wind and also get more distance.

Archived