Fishing The Grand River At Caladonia

Gregg

Went out on the Grand just above the dam at Caledonia,for the first time last Saturday. A bit windy but not too bad. Caught a reasonable Catfish. Have to find a good place to put in, as the spot i went in was very muddy. Saw some big carp, and fellow kayaker catch a nice bass.

Any recomendations on good spots to put in on the Grand?

Would post photo of fish, but(embarrassed) cos i dont know how to attach file in the forum.

Cheers for now.

Grumpy....So did you get fixed up with your motor??????

Great place to put in, above the Caledonia Dam.........

a couple of miles (aprox) going north on the right bank past the private launch, there is a great public park

its free and great launching facilities.......I put in there once, always thought about going back

Great trip on the Grand is out of Paris finish in Brant Conservation Area. You can arrange with Paris kayak outfitter Jamie

They will transport you back to Paris, I paid $15.00 a couple of years ago I parked and launched out of their facility just past the 2nd bridge in Paris

Good luck

Peter S Burlington

I have to agree on the Paris to Brant trip being a decent trip. You can contact grand river rafting who has a permanent site in Brant Park who will also supply shuttle service back to Paris. I use the two vehicle approach but Im using a drift boat and that works well for us. You can also try a few other places on the grand like Glen Morris to Paris or Cambridge to Paris. I think friends of the grand website has some maps or you can get a good map from Brant Park.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thanks for the info. i am always looking for new places to go, but finding the good launching spots is tough. nice to get info from other yakkers.

Peter,

yes, i did finally buy a motor. Went with a 30 lb thrust motor, with a class 29 deep cycle marine battery. Battery is as heavy as hell, but lasts a long time. Still need to do a longer river trip. do you still have my number?

Hey guys, thanks for the info. i am always looking for new places to go, but finding the good launching spots is tough. nice to get info from other yakkers.

Peter,

yes, i did finally buy a motor. Went with a 30 lb thrust motor, with a class 29 deep cycle marine battery. Battery is as heavy as hell, but lasts a long time. Still need to do a longer river trip. do you still have my number?

Take 54 west from Caledonia. Just past Harrison's Landing (park and launch fees) there is La Fortune Park. Couple of miles out of town.

Not very well marked. It's the first gate on your left past Harrison's Landing.

Picnic tables. Johnny on the spot. Free access. A boat launch is located at the extreme west boundary of the park. Also free. Sketchy to say the least. Pretty much just a slope on the river bank. Best suited for smaller boats. No dock.

Perfect access point for kayaks and canoes.

Another good spot for a kayak would be under the Cockshutt Road bridge (Brantford). There is an access road on the Brantford side of the bridge. Parking area at the bottom of the road.

Archived