Colors

iHasFish

I am so torn this year when it comes to the color I should swing for steel. Everyone I see tends to be using black and white (spinning gear too) and having success. Last year I saw and heard mostly olive. I've tried to pair the color with the water condition and the sky with no success. What's everyone think? Does it vary from body of water to body of water?

For some reason i always lean to pink. But Black/purple and black/blue. My only hooked steelie on the swing so far was on pink. Did really well with olive for bass.

Black/Purple/Pink are the go-to colours. But, I think that Schnip's point about movement and profile is on the mark. Look at how many of the classic flies that are being swung imitate either shrimp/prawns or a baitfish. Moving like prey is more important than looking like prey.

am i the only one that feels that shape, and movement is paramount. i dunno man dont see fish seeing colors like we do especially underwater--that said i was there when dave hooked on pink...he has a matching boa as welll.

I have one that looks like a boa...hahaha. I agree on the movement in the water...But I have also hooked some nice steelies on those same purple/blues and pinks/red jigs under a float. They do seem to like those colours. I was walking out of a store with a recent purchase of marabou and hackle and the guy asked right away, you must be tying intruders. Then said those are my favorite colurs too. As you can see below...they like those colours

20130405_133102_zpsac90cd4a.jpg

Archived