Kayak Regulations

yakfish

I'm moving to the Niagara from Ohio. I coming up this week to start job hunting! I currently have a Feelfree Lure 11.5. It is registered here in Ohio and is good until march of 2017. I'm wondering if I will need to change to an Ontario registration after the move or if I can just wait until my current registration expires?

I'm also wondering what all Ontario kayakers are required to carry with them on the water. In Ohio I'm only required to carry a PFD onboard but wearing it is optional. Are the rules any different in Ontario? Is there anything else I'm required to have with me on the water?

Thanks!

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that we register Kayaks here in Ontario. I think that you need the PFD and a boat safety kit that you can purchase at stores like Canadian Tire or Walmart. The kit contains a whistle,a mirror. a throwing rope,and a water proof flash light, and perhaps something I'm forgetting.

A spare paddle? I always keep a paddle in the truck. Nothing worse than driving two hours to the river only to realize you left your paddle at home. Yes...I've done it! But I've never been out in the yak with two paddles!

I imagine all of these rules are very important if you are in big lakes and dangerous rivers. But low flow creeks and still ponds there is nobody patrolling those for obvious reasons. You'll likely land on your feet in a creek hahaha. I never registered my kayak so I also don't believe there is that to worry about. I always have a PFD and my paddle clipped to the craft and also a small orange bucket filled with all sorts of safety equipment. More than needed but I would rather have and not need it.....

Archived