What's Your Carp Setup?

Bubba14

Hi guys, just curious what everyone is running for their carp setup. Do you guys have dedicated carp rigs or are they dual or multi purpose? I'm thinking of possibly using an old down rigging rod with an old ABU Ambassaduer 3500 spooled with 14 lb mono, what are the thoughts? Was gonna use this as my cat rod too. Let me know what you think.

I have been using my OLD custom 8' salmon rod with a 4000 series spinning reel ( Symetre now) with 20# braid & 20# mono for my lead.... using hair rigs mostly , but will try other set ups later, like the bolt rig with various baits . I want a rod with enough back bone to turn the carp when it heads into clutter or heavy weeds ,etc. ,and a reel with a good smooth drag . I like to go portable with a back pack (gear & food) and sometimes travel to distant spots via mountain bike . With my gear I can change baits (worms & shrimp) and try for channel cats if the carp are sleeping ......

I would up the mono to 20 lb. for those 30# plus carp . I like the braid as long as the rod isn't too stiff . Can you cast any distance with that rig ? Most of my carp spots don't require a long cast unless I'm fishing Lake Ont. from shore where most guys cast out over 100' .

I use a 7ft medium action Ugly Stik Elite with a Pfleuger Supreme spinning reel. I run 20 pound PowerPro braid main line. I also use this as my cat rod.

I'm surprised at how light the new Ugly Stiks are.. Might try em out for fishing bass in the slop this summer.

As for your set-up, it sounds like it could work just fine. Although I don't have any experience with down rigging rods so I can't comment specifically on that. If you end up using that on the water, I'd like to hear how it works out for ya.

I don't have a dedicated carp setup but my favourite to use is my 7ft Ultra Light Fenwick Eagle rod paired up with a Shimano Symetre 1000 and 8# Berkley Nanofil. I can cast an unweighted hook baited with corn or Spam from my kayak to feeding fish accurately 50+ft away without spooking them. Then, when you get a hookup there is nothing more fun than fighting a carp on ultra light gear!

8FT cat/carp rod. Baitrunner reel. 20# to 50# braid. Hair rig. Corn/boilies. Chum with cheap canned corn. Nothing to fancy. It all works. I don't like to complicate things. I just want to enjoy fishing. I could catch one carp all day and call it a great day. Just enjoy yourself.

I use three wychwood excorsist big pits.... for euro carping, one whychwood riot big pit for spodding. 4 chub snooper rods. for my pod its a cygnet grand sniper delux with three wireless wychwood signature series alarms and receiver with 3 fox MK2 swingers. this is for euro carping. I also use a boat and a 12 foot pvc pipe to mark spots when I dump bait........typically I dump around 30lbs of bait around the marker before I even fish it.

For float fishing I use a 13 foot shimano and a islander pin. - chum with sweet corn..........simple

• 2 weeks later...

I think you will do just fine Bubba. I use a 9ft. Ugly Stik and an Ambassaduer 6000.

Here is the rig I use.

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss325/hammercarp/Paylake/BasicPaylakeRig_zpsbfa1b5bb.jpg

Here is my set up.

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss325/hammercarp/HPIM1613800x596_zps962e31bc.jpg

You can use a couple of bank sticks instead of a pod. Just put a couple of kernels of canned corn on the hook. Use a can or two to chum with. I had a post on this forum going in to more detail but this basic set up will get you into carp this spring. My PB is just a half pound short of 40. Good luck.

Archived