1200 Guns

smerchly

Story in the paper ....California .....police find dead body in a house and found 1200 guns of all sorts and over 2 tons of ammo ! The whole stash will probably be destroyed even if they could make thousands of bucks selling it . If the house caught fire , I'm wondering if the ammo would explode ,sending bullets in all directions ?

Story in the paper ....California .....police find dead body in a house and found 1200 guns of all sorts and over 2 tons of ammo ! The whole stash will probably be destroyed even if they could make thousands of bucks selling it . If the house caught fire , I'm wondering if the ammo would explode ,sending bullets in all directions ?

Most definitely i would not wan't to be within a 100 yards of that place if it was on fire if that place went up it would have been a disaster

As Dave says, the bullets themselves wouldn't go flying (at least not very far). There would be shrapnel flying, but its would be mostly brass, and wouldn't pose much risk beyond a few yards. I've actually seen slow-motion video of a rifle round being cooked off in that fashion. The bullet itself barely moved.

Still, a fire in an ammo "dump" like that would not be fun to be around.

Thanks for the info guys ......Many years ago a guy tossed a .22 cal . bullet into a fire and I headed for the hills , not knowing what to expect .....Think I'd still not stand near by to see ....... :th_fudd:...... :smiley_campfire-1:

Just plain scarey , but maybe not as dangerous as a fire cracker factory on fire ....... and certainly not as dangerous as a glass bottle half full of water tossed into a fire .....I witnessed the aftermath of that one !

Its physics, really. The force of the explosion will follow the path of least resistance. Thats how shaped charges work for example. I recall using thunderflashes when in the military (overgrown firecrackers that look like road flares). They contain about an ounce of black powder and make quite a bang. But we'd usually find the base on the ground right where it had detonated.

• 1 month later...

Reviving an old post ......This shotgun shell rolled off a table and fired when it hit the floor . How did that happen ? It looked like the load fired off into the corner just as it would being fired from a shotgun .....could have been fatal to a bystander ?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82911777/

Many years ago I stuck a 22 shell in a post, Stepped back a short distance and shot at the casing. I hit it and there was a pop and instantly something hit me in the forehead. It was the casing from the shell. The lead did not go any further into the post. Lucky I wasn't hit in the eye. Never did that again.

Archived