Rabbits ?

Slevin

Walked 2 bushes looking for any signs of rabbit, I THINK more in the city then the bush ???? deer signs, trees rub, bedding, squirrels tracks, Now me an a buddy since kids have hunted, also had his 2 labs out not a thing. So no rabbit hunting this yr . By the way I m in Thorold any hints ??? or sites to hunt would b happy thanks, b4 buy rabbit lic.

I've never had any luck hunting them either. My first couple of years hunting I focused on them exclusively, walked a lot of kilometers and I only ever saw two. One when I stopped and unloaded my gun to take a leak, he bolted and scared the crap out of me and I almost peed on myself. The other was two days before the season opened last year, checked that spot a dozen times once the season started and never saw him again.

I see lots of rabbit tracks in the snow though, so I know they're out here. I think they're just extra cautious outside of town due to the yotes.

On the bright side at least you don't need a township license to hunt rabbit in Thorold anymore :)

I usually wait until there's more snow on the ground. I like hunting them on a sunny morning after a dusting of snow over night. If you don't see any then, start yote hunting ! :th_fudd:

• 4 weeks later...

After three years for hunting rabbits I finally got permission to hunt a property out in Dunnville with some good sign. The first year, a friend of mine took me out one morning to one of his spots, and we got 6 in 3 hours. Went out a couple more times that year and got a few more. Second year only got 4 more on the same property on a couple of outings. This season i've been out once in a different field and didn't see a thing. Gonna try and put some more time in this month on that property I got permission for. Should be good. It's nice just to get out of the house and do some walking.Plan on taking my 7 year old boy with me on an outing. Should be fun.. Hopefully to get one. That will excite him. Good luck Slevin...

I see rabbits all the time. In the city. They are well within the city limits and fortunately, not too many coyotes within those limits (yet).

There is a farm field right across the road from work: this time of year it is just stubble, and usually seething with geese. The other day (broad daylight), several hundred of those birds took to the wing honking furiously. Someone laughed about it; I said it was probably a coyote. Sure enough, half a dozen coyotes came trotting across the field. This is only about a mile south of Rymal Road. So yes, the coyotes are there and they are near!

After three years for hunting rabbits I finally got permission to hunt a property out in Dunnville with some good sign. The first year, a friend of mine took me out one morning to one of his spots, and we got 6 in 3 hours. Went out a couple more times that year and got a few more. Second year only got 4 more on the same property on a couple of outings. This season i've been out once in a different field and didn't see a thing. Gonna try and put some more time in this month on that property I got permission for. Should be good. It's nice just to get out of the house and do some walking.Plan on taking my 7 year old boy with me on an outing. Should be fun.. Hopefully to get one. That will excite him. Good luck Slevin...

Ever think that you cleaned them out. 15 rabbits out of one bush, you have to leave some for breeding.

So yes, the coyotes are there and they are near!

All that money we have been spending using trained dogs to put the run to the geese and oil spraying their eggs ,......and the yotes do it all for FREE ! Mother nature works in strange ways sometimes.......

Ever think that you cleaned them out. 15 rabbits out of one bush, you have to leave some for breeding.

Nope.... I betcha if i go back in there with my buddy that has permission, we'd get another 15... I know enough when to leave a property alone. Hasn't been touched this year...

• 2 weeks later...

We shot a 3 man limit of rabbits in NOTL today. 3 different properties produced! We saw a bunch we didn't get shooting at and after my brother shot #18 I had one run by me at 6ft that I just had to laugh and watch go. An amazing family day out in the field with my father and brother!

Archived