Yakin The Bar

NADO

Planning on heading out to the bar this weekend as long as the wind forecast stays down. If anyone is planning on going it would be nice to meet up for safety purposes.

Thanks, will do.I assume I will need a New York fishing license if I want to drift over to the other side?

50$ for the year from the day U bought it. 15$ fo a day license I think. Easiest was to get it is to call n they do everything for u. Easier then makin accounts online.

I might be up for joining you out there if the conditions are good. Got to keep an eye on the wind for sure. I plan on getting out tomorrow or Saturday. I was planning on trolli g around Jordan but I'd be up for joining you around the bar.

what is best practice for fishing us waters. Do you guys have your passports on you when you are out?

I am guessing that you are kidding but if not no you only need a passport if you are entering the country and it better not be with a kayak.

I saw the day licence online was $10. I'm considering it as i'm not sure how often I would really be getting out in that area, there are only so many Saturdays in a year.

Let me know yakfish, as of now they are calling for a high of plus 6 with 10k winds.

Well we made it but sadly no fish to show for it. The weather man lied and there was some good wind coming from the east, most of the boats seemed like they gave up early too with the rough water. The river seemed to be flowing fairly heavy, I was ripping through the drift pretty damn fast and it was a workout to get back to the starting point just to drift for 5 minutes before I had to start heading back to the start again. I'm not sure it is something I can manage in a kayak but i'm hoping it was just a day where the river was ripping faster than normal. Lots of waves were crashing over the kayak and I got a little more wet than I would have liked in the cold wind.

Is there a good site that shows the flow of the river below the hydro dam? I checked the water office site but it looks like the only station is surprisingly on the upper niagara.

It was fun getting out despite the cold, wind, current and lack of fish. Its something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I'll try it again in warmer weather. Conditions will have to be perfect for me to go back out in the kayak again. It was definitely a learning experience for me. Best way to learn and know what to expect is to get out and do it. Next time I'm going to go farther out green can and beyond.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived