How's the carpin' been?

yakfish

I haven't done much carp fishing this year. Went out last evening to see what I could catch at a faithful carp hole. Fished about 3 hours with just 2 small channel cats. Got tons of light nibblers that didn't result in hookups. Fished corn in about 3 feet of water. Might try to get out after them tomorrow on the Welland River.

Hi Yakfish .....I'm your 54th viewer   :)....thought I'd chime in ..... My last 3 carp trips were duds , not even a sniff . Maybe my new batch of maize with diced canned pineapple chopped fine & sweetened with sugar is not their forte .  I tried different spots from 5 to 15 fow and no dice . Either I've lost my touch or the carp really fear me ! 

I'm going to give it another try tomorrow morning at Gibby . If they don't like my maize I have some Halloween candy to try .....hope you have success on the Welland River .  :Gonefishing:

I went out again last night after work for a couple hours. No carp but I got about 20 channel cats. Unfortunantly they were all small under 2lbs. Have to keep trying!

Tried Gib today and notta  ! Nothing ! Squat !  But they are there !  Saw about 7 jumpers ....one almost touched the tip of the rod !! Arrrrgggg !  Another one jumped about 8' in front of me and another almost jumped on shore !  I tried the maize/hair rig , then tried puffed corn  . They are playing hard to get ....need to take a bow-arrow next time !   :ArcherySmiley:......   :skunk:    It makes me wonder if they have lots to eat ....like bugs or zebra mussels (bottom feeders) .  .....not many mussels at all on the shore rocks ,but some have been caught clinging to rocks etc. in 15 fow .  Water is still warm .....hoping they will turn on soon , will have to check again after we get back to October weather .

Sorry about your luck Smerch.  Your outing reminds me Snags' post; "Carp give fishermen the middle finger!"  lol  Having them around and active like that but not with their noses down is maddening!

I've had a couple of fishless outings myself on the lower Grand in the Dunnville area.  I never posted about 'em because it was two trips without so much as a line bump for excitement.

Keep the faith.  Things will turn around for all of us soon, I'm sure.  

Thanks for the encouragement Mike . My best spots have been a total bust for the past month . I did much better catching perch during the heat wave !  Since we can only use one rod , maybe I should  use 4 hooks , set 6" apart & try corn, worm, shrimp, & bread (English Muffin)  lol !  Sitting for 3-4 hrs. watching the geese picking lice gets a bit boring  until a carp jumps in front of your face to break the trance . :ninja:  If I try for skis with a J-25 , I'll prob. hook into a nice carp  :bb2:

pssst .....Mike ......looks like we are all alone .......wanna beer ?   :)

I hit a spot near home today bass fishing from the kayak. Saw a bunch of bruiser carp (20+lbers) but left the can of corn in the truck. I might have to try and go back sometime this weekend for them.

Archived