Hawk

smerchly

This morning we saw a big hawk grab a sparrow 2 ft. from the house & fly past the living room window with it , only inches from the glass window . It took off close by to eat the sparrow . About an hour or so later  we saw it again in the back yard ,sitting on a fence eating another bird .  It was a beautiful cooper hawk with nice colours . They visit us when they see the easy pickings at the bird feeders . They usually take the doves as they are so slow to react when feeding on the ground  while the sparrows spook easily and have fast reflexes .  Got a few shots with my 18X zoom lens ,about 100 ft. from me ....snowing good too...

8qX5ylkEfNnQp-B-P1mUGrIzpYVPnWNbTZDh6_Xo

The hawks like the seed we put out for the critters, i.e. bait and you can tell when they are around because everything disappears and the squirrels freeze in the trees. They don't just take little stuff either. One time I was out hunting rabbits with the beagle and just as she was bringing the rabbit around she stopped barking. Thinking she had lost the track or the rabbit went into a hollow tree, I went over to where I last heard her howl. The snow said it all...... rabbit and dog tracks and then just dog tracks and scuff marks in the snow. The beagle started bark at a tree and looking up I saw the thief.....a big red tailed hawk had picked off the bunny as it was looking over its shoulder to see where the dog was. All I could do was salute a better hunter than I was and go find something else to chase. I think the dog was disgusted with me for not shooting the hawk.

Good story !  I don't think we need to worry about a big red tail getting our little dog ..... she was 20 lbs when we got her , now, 2 years later she's 30 lbs . . We have been feeding rabbits some carrot skins  which are always eaten overnight . ....hope there's no big owls around here .....

I had a sharp shinned hawk take out a junco last weekend in the yard.  It stared down a squirrel for about 15 minutes over its prey and then the squirrel decided to take off.  Raptors are such amazing birds.  Yes, great horned owls will definitely take out small dogs, cats etc.  

Archived