Perchin'-Piken Day

smerchly

Stopped in at Peter's Tackle today & got some nice lively minnows ...mixed sizes . It was windy and on the cold side ,but nice to have some sunshine . I had my 10'6" rod set up for float fishing for pike ....got my first fish in 10 minutes ....a beauty 8" perch ----took a 2" minnow , 10' under the bouncy float . Got a few more for a nice lunch tomorrow . I guess the perch are scaring the pike away !   :unsure:

It was nice to get out ,   it's been a while ...  and the diving blue bills and squaw ducks kept me entertained while keeping a keen eye on the float !  One good thing with a nice chop on the water ....it keeps a dead minnow looking alive under a bouncy float , and covers a lot of bottom , like drifting !  Still have a bunch of minnows left which are now in their new home in my tank . As long as the temperature holds above freezing , I'll be at it again this week !   :Gonefishing:

That's awesome  bill I was thinking on trying that same thing where I went pikin the other day...usually get a couple perch... nice to hear that you managed a snack...mmm cold water perch yum I saw Pete's  had some nice minnows today when I went to lick up some last minute trout supplies for the morning....might as well get out there ice or no ice

Thanks guys .   Something about float fishing ...takes me back about 70 years   🐤

Jack.... I have  fished the rec,with a float set at 25 -30'  . I used a rod with larger guides to allow the stop to pass through easily . I measured  the float distance by using a sinker heavy enough to sink the float and adjust the stop from there to fish the deepest spots . ....picked up some big perch as well . I found a nice spot at Jordan to use those minnows and float ....just need to check wind direction first .

Good job on the perch, Smerch, even if they weren't your target.

And ditto on the love of float fishing.  I definitely got be doin' more of it, because like you say, it takes you back in time and the thrill of that float signaling a bite is still the same!!

I have fished for pike many times Mike,   using a large 3" minnow or pond chub under a float and came home with some big jumbo perch . And I've hooked some nice pike while perch fishing through the ice using 1" minnows .....and the odd curious carp too !  Some places I fish in these cold days require some ruff-tuff walking so I carry my minnows in a big plastic jar with a little ice in the water in my back pack , a trick I learned from the guys when we fished the remote lakes near Westree by  sled. 

Archived