What's working for you this winter?

Jwl1

Just wondering if anyone wants to share some tips on what's been working for you so far in this cold weather season..... not anyone's fishing spots...more like species and what's been working for you.....just to get some fishing talk going and maybe a bit of encouragement to some to get out and give it a try........for me so far in this cold water season......pike....only tried once but got one.....white twister..quarter oz..plain jig head.....deep water....slow twitching the bottom......all my trout fishing success has come one the same setup all season so far......3 way rig...drifting streamers....most successful color has been pink on white....clown corkie.....1 oz sinker....fishing in the 25 to 30 fow range....occasionally lifting the line off the bottom slowly....and dropping back down slowly.... many hits have come while lifting the bait......a bit of stain on the water I have gotten lucky with yellow patterns.......catching steelies every time out.....and a few incidental walleye......nothing like a cold day on the water to break up the winter blues

I've been fishing trout the past month. I fish spoons exclusively mid to late winter. I target browns and catch the occasional rainbow. Got a coho a few days ago. I do not fish spoons conventionally. I drift them and run the risk of snags so swap out the treble for a siwash. Slower this year compared to last 5 or so. Still got a bunch though.

That's cool pauly.... I like doing that from shore...crocs....and silver/gold William's have been a couple of my go to choices for drifting lures.

3 hours ago, Bubba14 said:

I need to retire....

I took the leap at 49 Bubba .....You are way too young yet  ! 

Those 25 years of fishing 24-7 everyday go by verrrry quickly !    :Gonefishing: 

Mostly fishing smaller L. Erie tribs so far this year. Best producing bait has been tiny gold F5 flatfish on a 3way with 1/4 oz drop shot sinker. Silver/blue has been decent too. Start at the top of the pool and work it slowly letting currents do most of the work. If no bites after a few drifts move a few steps down etc. Work a pool in 15 mins. No bites, no fish on to the next! Last 3-4 years find my self bringing the floatrod less and less. Hard to beat the smash on kwikfish/flatfish

Over the years have often used kwickies on the same 3 way set ups when the minnow bite is predominant....you are right.. they hammer it!!!... then nothing like a big leap out of the water to follow

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2019 at 9:22 PM, smerchly said:

I took the leap at 49 Bubba .....You are way too young yet  ! 

Those 25 years of fishing 24-7 everyday go by verrrry quickly !    :Gonefishing: 

I've surpassed that by a few years Smerch, you're helping me build my case!!

Awesome to see what works for different people....I have tried jigging...lures....all winter long only to have all my success on bouncing streamers....all my trout...a few smallies earlier in the winter....and walleye....we even set out to target walleye yesterday with a whole assortment of baits....and turns out the streamer once again put the fish in the net...

• 4 weeks later...

This year was one of my first jigging for perch and I had lots of success with a Blue Fox Nomad. We fished it 30-35 feet and bounced it off bottom couple times then either small jigging or jigging and then dead sticking. The dead stick works surprisingly well probably because of it spinning slightly to catch a little light. The chain helps give it more noise and the bead on the hook along with a minnow head or tail seemed to work great. We had a couple of different ones and all worked great.
Blue Fox Nomad.jpg

Nice looking lure ....looks like it could work for larger fish as well if it comes in larger sizes . Is that on scale in this picture ?  It would be easy to change hooks quickly as well , maybe try a treble as well .  I'll check those out on my next tackle snoop .

On 3/27/2019 at 5:01 PM, FishGuy3754 said:

This year was one of my first jigging for perch and I had lots of success with a Blue Fox Nomad. We fished it 30-35 feet and bounced it off bottom couple times then either small jigging or jigging and then dead sticking. The dead stick works surprisingly well probably because of it spinning slightly to catch a little light. The chain helps give it more noise and the bead on the hook along with a minnow head or tail seemed to work great. We had a couple of different ones and all worked great.
Blue Fox Nomad.jpg

Wow.. that lure looks great and unique that it has just one hook away from the body. It would be better for preventing snagging than treble hook.

Archived