Eyelet swap

Tyler0420

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Dollar Store epoxy for years . It sets in about 5 minutes but I give it 12 hours to harden up . I  glued little knobs on my medicine cabinet over 10 years ago and it's still good . Here's the cheapest way to do it when you haven't got the proper set up to do guides . 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uBhPSSLGcY

1 hour ago, Brian_b said:

I've got a guide to change as well; hardest thing is to find the right type of guide replacement.

Peter's Tackle keeps a supply of guides , might find the right one there . I have a small supply I have taken from broken rods I found discarded at fishing spots .  I found the last eye (metal) on one of my rods yesterday has  some grooves that can rake your line ....used a Dremel   & fine  sand stone like a chain saw stone to remove it & polish it with extra fine paper. Not sure , but I think some braids can cut grooves in cheap guides .

3 hours ago, Brian_b said:

I've got a guide to change as well; hardest thing is to find the right type of guide replacement.

What size mate, if it's the biggest nearest the reel seat and it matches I've got one here you're welcome to have. 

First as in your stripper guide? Or your tiptop?. Hot glue will work on your tiptop like was said. If its your stripper guide and you need a rewrap don't mess around trying hardware store epoxies. It'll yellow and crack in no time. Its not made to flex.  It should be done with flex coat and cured rolling on a motor or finish will sag.  I could do it easy enough for ya but am in London area. For any rod building supplies (guides, etc)use Johns flymaterial in London. Best walk-in store I know for rodbuilding supplies. Most big tackle stores have a piss poor selection if anything.

On 9/11/2019 at 7:54 PM, Tyler0420 said:

So looks like I’m just going todo it myself. It’s only a spod rod and doesn’t look hard. 

Can I use a epoxy from CT or Lowe’s? Or does it have to be for fishing rods?

I can do it Tyler. Ive got some flex coat.

1 hour ago, DaveC said:

I can do it Tyler. Ive got some flex coat.

Too late, already did a half a$$ job on it.  Just a spod rod so I’m not too concerned. Note to self, never build a rod. 

Sometimes just easier to pay someone else and let a little guy make some $$.

thanks though Dave.  Now let’s gey out fishing. 

Archived