Fall time carpin

Tyler0420

41 minutes ago, Steve_Guelph said:

I retired November 01st and can’t agree more. I look at Saturday and Sunday as days to avoid the crowds be it fishing , shopping or just running around. Monday - Friday plus what Bill mentioned works for me.

Totally agree !!   The wind was howling today and it was colder .....went to Wall Mart to get some bird seed & shrimp .....can us both the enhance the spod mix for carp .  The maize I used last has dried up after refreezing 3 times , it would split when loading up the hair , so I added some corn juice I saved & keep it in my unheated garage to soak up the juice . The shrimp will be tested for a special treat for the carp ....or anything else .

2 hours ago, Jwl1 said:

hijacking Tyler's carp thread

Nah ....just mention the word "CARP"  in your responses & your good  as gold !!   :pardon:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I are reeding yu loud'n cleer me son ....   :read:    Going FISHING 2morro 4  bronzies   B)

Got me some cow corn , shrimp , puffs , and some candy !

Anyone out Daloozie way tomorrow I'll be roaming Rennie pond from point A to point z .

Also going somewhere tomorrow...stocked up a bit on some trout supplies a few mins ago...but I should have checked if they had minnows..because I haven't quite decided where I wanted to go and what I wanted to fish for yet...lol

On 11/23/2019 at 1:33 PM, Jwl1 said:

Also going somewhere tomorrow...stocked up a bit on some trout supplies a few mins ago...but I should have checked if they had minnows..because I haven't quite decided where I wanted to go and what I wanted to fish for yet...lol

I did the Daloozie run today ...no hits , no runs , no fish !  Tried 2 spots , used corn , salties and shrimp ....forgot the halloween candies !  Nice to get out , a little windy  but some shine as well .  I called Peter's but no minnows yet ....checked a few spots to see if minnows were present ...water still a little fuzzy .

Got your message bill....would have gladly went to try find you...got up super early for a crack at a trout spot...but decided I didn't want to head out that early...lol...then ended up going to help my mom out with a couple things.....thanks for the update though....live bait is a key factor this time of year at a few places....will have to get together for a few casts soon

1 minute ago, Jwl1 said:

Got your message bill....would have gladly went to try find you...got up super early for a crack at a trout spot...but decided I didn't want to head out that early...lol...then ended up going to help my mom out with a couple things.....thanks for the update though....live bait is a key factor this time of year at a few places....will have to get together for a few casts soon

I took a break about noonish & got a coffee at Homestead .....they now have  cash only . I don't always carry much cash so I make sure I have enough to pay for a coffee , etc. I don't think this helps their business .....

I'll be on the prowl for minnows Jack , I use to get plenty of little pond chubs at my buddies pond , but he has moved away from the country life .....

Tyler ....I think the sudden Nov. cold snap dropped the water temps very quickly this month ....seemed to turn off the carp bite , not even a sniff the last 2 outings .  Maybe some warm oatmeal ....... 

Nice looking spot !   I 'm debating with smerch about fishing for carp since it's late November .....Do they go into deeper water ?  I haven't had a sniff in the last 3 outings .  Change of bait ....I tried shrimp for a change but not even a cat would take it.....

So many baits ....even bread balls enhanced with vanilla , pineapple or Tequila .....:dunno:

I believe they do go deeper in the colder weather. But this is my first season fishing cold water carp so still new to me.  River carp will eat more in the cooler months and lake carp normally just sit around not feeding much. So really gotta put your bait on their nose.  

Colder months=less food more flavour.  

Let’s see how this winter goes hopefully I can bank a few. 

7 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

The last fish I caught has salmon eggs in the pack bait. 🤔

It's a "match the hatch"...situation like I had mentioned when referring to catching them in cold water while fishing trout or pike.... I have caught carp on minnows ...white twisters...spoons this time of year...carp and suckers on roe....there's not the same vegetation so they aren't foraging on the small snails ect that are in the weeds.....salmon eggs makes total sense as well in late fall....we have 2 different salmon spawns with chinooks and cohos....then lakers..browns..then bows..

18 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Ya I put 3-4 spods out.  

From what I've read about cold water carp fishing ,  I haven't been using much chum . I think they have already put on the fat for the winter and just snack a bit during the cold months . Funny how they will take live minnow through the ice . I'll have to give it another shot carping through the ice ....one rod for carp and one for perch . ....covering all angles !

9 hours ago, smerchly said:

From what I've read about cold water carp fishing ,  I haven't been using much chum . I think they have already put on the fat for the winter and just snack a bit during the cold months . Funny how they will take live minnow through the ice . I'll have to give it another shot carping through the ice ....one rod for carp and one for perch . ....covering all angles !

this winter i'm going to drill holes all over and map out the swims i fish, maybe theirs a secret honey hole i'm missing

38 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

this winter i'm going to drill holes all over and map out the swims i fish, maybe theirs a secret honey hole i'm missing

Can you take a small boat (canoe/yak) there ? You could quickly find the honey spots ...... 

Have you tried close to shore in that spot?...often here in Niagara in the cold weather you will see small pods of carp slowly cruising the shoreline

2 hours ago, Mike Pike said:

the anticipation of staring at the indicator willing it to go off!   

Mike ...if I stare at it they refuse to bite !   ^_^

When mother nature calls the alarm will go off !!

It's such a lovely day today ...  look at the sunshine   🎶  why am I home ?

1 hour ago, Jwl1 said:

Have you tried close to shore in that spot?...often here in Niagara in the cold weather you will see small pods of carp slowly cruising the shoreline

A couple weeks in November I fished in close with landing one fish. wish we could fish two rods. 

1 hour ago, Tyler0420 said:

wish we could fish two rods. 

You can... through the ice Tyler  .

Two rods from shore would be nice to try different baits and depths ....it would be my luck ,after waiting for 4 hours , that a pod of carp came to visit and hit both rods together !  :o  Chaos !   Better to have a "helper" in that case .

Archived