Niagara River Float Fishing | Reading the current and locating steelhead anywhere

pop-vlado

Hi all,

Wanted to share a quick video from a recent trip to the Lower where I try and quickly describe what to look for when assessing if particular drifts will hold fish or not. I think we all have our favourite spots on the river but sometimes it's good to break free from that mold and not limit ourselves to "spots" but rather to any stretch of the river which has favourable currents and structure because fish can really be caught anywhere.

Enjoy and subscribe to the Youtube channel for similar content. Cheers!

On 2/17/2020 at 10:23 AM, pop-vlado said:

Hi all,

Wanted to share a quick video from a recent trip to the Lower where I try and quickly describe what to look for when assessing if particular drifts will hold fish or not. I think we all have our favourite spots on the river but sometimes it's good to break free from that mold and not limit ourselves to "spots" but rather to any stretch of the river which has favourable currents and structure because fish can really be caught anywhere.

Enjoy and subscribe to the Youtube channel for similar content. Cheers!

Smerchy fishing from the same spot ...a few years back   :rolleyes:

Looks like a bunch of silvers ......  handsome dude ....

Old Pool .....jpg

6 minutes ago, Jwl1 said:

That's awesome bill...lol

Awesome time catching those silvers on light tackle JW .....

Notice all the debris in the water ......  (none of it was plastic )

Logs and foam...lol..back in the day there where lots of silvers in the pool...ridiculous salmon runs and of course amazing winter steel and lakers....even seen a golden in there once..

Been quite a while since I been down there.

42 minutes ago, Mbocco said:

I can’t believe you have pictures like that.  That’s amazing. 

I have at least 1000 paper  prints I took over many years . Some of the oldest are from the 50's using a Brownie camera . From there I got into 35mm and then bought a Canon AT-1  with all the lenses and filters . It's still in the bag in my basement with a film in it  lol !  These pictures I posted here are simply copies taken with my present pocket camera , a Samsung snap & click with14 m.p.s I just put each picture on a piece of white paper under my 4 ft . florescent work light or use daylight in the shade .

I did a bunch more today .

Our best fishing trip was L.Opasatika  south of Kapuskasing  Ont.  ...big eyes and pike !

...my old boat , notice the fish finders ?   (  about 1980 )

Opi Eyes Stan.jpg

That's cool....from a video that started this thread. .down to old school pictures...and taking a pic of an old pic...all different ways to share in the adventures and create memories along the way.....cool to see a video sharing some tactics from present day....to the same fishing hole decades earlier.....we have an amazing fishery in niagara...although things have changed over the years it just shows that with some knowledge gained through each adventure and some adapting you can really raise your odds of catching some fish of a lifetime

Archived