Trip to Sault Ste Marie

DaveC

Making my first trip to Sault Ste Marie the second week of Sept. I have a guide for two days, one fishing brook trout on a lake and the next day fishing pinks on an inland waterway. I will try the rapids on my own. The plan is to make the drive to Wawa for couple days. Any tips or advice on places to stay along the way or fishing advice up there. Be just the wife and I for a two week journey. Im told the drive to Wawa is a must do...

8 hours ago, bigugli said:

Absolutely beautiful country. If you can find the time, the Agawa canyon rail tour is stunning.

Thanks Bruce, we had thought about doing that. Was just checking, but I dont think its up with Covid.

34 minutes ago, DaveC said:

Thanks Bruce, we had thought about doing that. Was just checking, but I dont think its up with Covid.

That is unfortunate

In the st Mary's...boardwalk down to the locks should be piling in with pinks...chinooks and big whitefish that time of year.....also if you want to try your hand at some decent pike....go to belleview park...there is a shallow bay around the middle of the park...its about 3 or 4 feet deep at best...spinnerbaits just before dark and about an hour after......on the way up to wawa look for the signs in the little ponds and ditches on the side on the hwy where the ministry stocks splake for a put and take fishery...a few spots have like street signs in the water encouraging people to fish.

On 7/20/2020 at 7:19 PM, DaveC said:

Making my first trip to Sault Ste Marie the second week of Sept. I have a guide for two days, one fishing brook trout on a lake and the next day fishing pinks on an inland waterway. I will try the rapids on my own. The plan is to make the drive to Wawa for couple days. Any tips or advice on places to stay along the way or fishing advice up there. Be just the wife and I for a two week journey. Im told the drive to Wawa is a must do...

If the wife gets sick I know someone that will take her spot :)

If you get a chance to fish the boardwalk or up near the dam on the st Mary's....use some of the same bottom bounce techniques you would use on the niagara....if you can find them...buzz bomb jigging baits can slay em up there....you will loose a couple though..Haha...parts of the river run pretty fast in that stretch...some guys even fish the boardwalk using portable clamp on downriggers....just drop down a roe bag or rapala and wait...lol....its almost frustrating when the pinks are in heavy....you can literally see hundreds of them in the water and fight for a nibble sometimes..haha....if you go up by the powerhouse there is a fish ladder....and also a huge lamprey trap.....its a huge tease when you look down off the side of the road and see a cloud of pinks.....under that...whitefish pushing the 15lber or more range...then the huge chinook shadows lurking at the bottom underneath that.....huge tease cuz you cant fish there...but it's fun to look at......after a couple days with a guide....and just looking around a bit yourself...you will find some wicked fishing options....you would be surprised at all the options from past sudbury to wawa right along side the road.....you could always tell the wife "you gotta stop for a pee"....haha...along with all the little spots littered with splake....(put and take fish for a reason....they cant reproduce.....stocked purely for fishing.....and if you dont "take them".....eventually the will stop "putting" them.....along with that however are some of the most beautiful and biggest natural run brookies I have ever seen....super dark black...bright red fins.....if you aren't opposed to stopping for a pee....or a sandwich...and just happen to have an ultra light set up ready to go with a tiny spinner....or float and piece of worm you can get some fish of a lifetime for sure.....look for the areas with small Rapids or falls on the side of the road....stick your hand in.....if the water is a cold spring....try it out....take a few steps into the woods and look for small pools.....even rock ledges......bring a whistle or something to make noise with in some of those spots....you never know when a black bear might decide to see what you are up too....specially if you stumble upon some blueberry bushes that time of year....lol..they dont like people..just yell loud or blow a fox40...they will go away...haha...

Archived