Electric motors on Welland Recreational Waterway

ninepointer

Does anyone know if I'm allowed to run my canoe, with a Minnkota, on the Welland Recreational Waterway (Old Welland Canal)?

The City of Welland's "Go Quiet & Urban Fishing" by-law states that "motorized watercraft" are prohibited. But the by-law does not define a motorized watercraft. I've been told by other anglers that electric motors are perfectly legal. Which would make sense if the purpose and intent of the by-law is to reduce noise and wake.

The WRCC website contains little information, it is out of date and offers no help in this regard. I came across a website by something called the "Welland Sport Tourism Alliance": http://www.comeplayinwelland.com/wsta_8605.html, which states that, "Electric fishing boats are available starting at $18 for the first hour and $8 for each additional half hour." It seems reasonable to assume that, if the WRCC rents out electric boats, members of the public are also allowed to bring their own electrics.

Last year I asked the electric motor question in an e-mail to the Welland Recreational Canal Corporation (WRCC), but I did not receive a reply. I've recently sent another e-mail to the WRCC, as well as to the City of Welland and I'm awaiting their responses. I'll let you know if I hear back. One angler told me not to hold my breath :blush:

In the mean-time, does anybody know the answer; are electrics permitted in the Old Canal?

The final definitive answere lies with the city of Welland. It has been argued to death on the forum.

Odds are the city will not give a yes/no answer. If they say no, then the rowing club boats and rentals violate their own bylaws. If they say yes, they lose rental income and open another can of worms.

The final definitive answere lies with the city of Welland. It has been argued to death on the forum.

Odds are the city will not give a yes/no answer. If they say no, then the rowing club boats and rentals violate their own bylaws. If they say yes, they lose rental income and open another can of worms.

I did a forum search first before I posted and, like you said BigUgli, the motor ban has been argued at length here. In fact, I was part of some of those threads. I don't want to open the whole motor boat issue; that's history for now. I'm not interested in running an outboard motor on the Recreational Waterway, I've got other options in that regard.

I'm just interested in electrics, which would certainly satisfy the purpose and intent of the City's by-law. I haven't yet found the answer to the electric motor question, here or elsewhere. I'll post the City's response when I get it. Rest assured, I will get the City's clear response in regard to electrics, even if this takes some tooth pulling on my part. I can tell you right now that the City's by-law is very poorly written, flawed actually.

I'm not trying to stir things up. I just want to take my 6 year-old fishing in the coming months and the Rec Waterway would be a great place to troll around in wakeless silence, especially if we want to fish the north reach.

I'd say print that e-mail out, laminate it and keep it in your wallet. It is truly amazing how many times I've seen the "one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing" thing.

Roger that one! :)

The reply from the City was thorough, stating that they checked with the WRCC. Both the right and left hands are covered! :)

Roger that one! :)

The reply from the City was thorough, stating that they checked with the WRCC. Both the right and left hands are covered! :)

I have been using my electric powered sportspal on the canal for the past 3 years with no problem! One time even at the rowing club in Dain city! No problem as long as you stay out of their way! Some great fishing to be had from a canoe or kayak!

Bring on the soft water! :)

Archived