Jordan Harbour Garbage Derby 2013?

meatface

The Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority has contacted me and asked me to run another 'Garbage Derby' this year. I have sent out an email to the sponsors from last year that I have an email address for to see if there is any interest before I commit to anything.

I'm just wondering if there is any interest here on the board. Do you all think that I should do this again?

is there any other locations that would benefit from a clean up i know Jordan harbour can always use it but we should give another place a chance like port dalhouise or some other places

I would be happy to return to Jordan for this event, as long as I am not working that day. Enjoyed the day last year..........................................Boog

is there any other locations that would benefit from a clean up i know Jordan harbour can always use it but we should give another place a chance like port dalhouise or some other places

I'm sure there are many places and I'd love to have the time and energy to attack them all. The problem is that I don't have the time and the event last year took tons of time and energy to put on. Should we do it this year a lot of the backbone is already there, the contacts have been made and we have a great partner, the NPCA, plus the rowing club down there wanted to jump on board. I have plenty of ideas for cleanups but every new area requires a ton of new work. Last year we concentrated mainly on the area around the highway, I would hope this year we can get more boats in the water and get into the back bays.

I also agree with the tons of work to get it going on top of this maybe we should look at getting a larger group of organizers each responsible for a different area and that way it's not always on you. I would love to do one in the whirlpool

It's starting to look like we will be doing the derby again in Jordan. Lucky Strike has already committed and Niagara Bassmasters have also pledged support. Just waiting to hear back from the Conservation Authority before the final decision is made. Stay tuned, hopefully by the weekend we will be able to let you all know where we stand :)

As stupid as this may sound, read this thred and I'm unclear of exactly what the event is about. I'm assuming a debris clean up in an out of the water, am I correct? Sorry for being unclear

As stupid as this may sound, read this thred and I'm unclear of exactly what the event is about. I'm assuming a debris clean up in an out of the water, am I correct? Sorry for being unclear

Yes, search the archives to see last years event

Okay folks, here's the deal. Me and my band of merry men are going to commit to the derby again this year. Right now it looks like the date will be Saturday September 7th, but that is tentative at this point. I will confirm next week some time. We already have commitment from a few sponsors, again the first being Lucky Strike lures. Anyone with a lead on sponsorship please PM me. I also have a few ideas for some fund raising this year and if it goes well we will be raising the bar on this event. I will post updates in this thread as I have information. Hopefully we will have similar success to last year.

Cheers,

Meatface

I spoke with the owners of The Niagara Rowing School and Paddle Sports Center today. They have committed use of their rental canoes and kayaks for the garbage derby. We will have to work out all of the details but they are on board. Not sure if everyone realizes it or not but they have rentals down there at Jordan Harbour and the rates are reasonable. Neil and Greg are two standup guys that jumped on board with zero hesitation.

Cheers,

Meatface

Im interested again Jon...either in the clean-up itself or in a helping hand. Good of you to step up to the plate again.

Okay folks, I heard back from the Conservation Authority today and we have confirmed Saturday September 7th as the date for the 'Jordan Harbour Garbage Derby 2013'. Now it's time to start securing sponsorship. I will keep you all posted :)

Meatface

Archived