Lake Nosbonsing

glowbug

One of my best friends just purchased a rental property on Lake Nosbonsing and I was looking for some general lake info, as we have never fished this lake before. I am not looking for anyones hot spots, just general info. Such as what is the water colour clear or stained? Is it a weedy or rocky lake? If weedy what is the predominant type of weed? Is it more of a shoreline structure or open water structure lake? What is the average depth? What is the deepest hole?I know whats in the lake for game fish but,I was also wondering about the forage fish? I've heard that there is lake herring or whitefish but I'm not 100% sure about that?

I have been trying to find a hydrographic map for this lake without any success. I've tried Pen.Press in StCatharines no luck, went to the Sportsmen show the hydro map guy was not there.I've looked on the net can not find one. I have found the Adventure series and the Fishingmap Plus series(ordered both) but I know the detail I want will not be on those maps. Any thoughts on where I could find a hydrographic map?

Any and all info is welcome.

Thanks Rob

Guest Rockfish

I've got some info from an Ontario Fishing Guide book that I picked up in a book store years ago.

Lake Nosbonsing is known as the "Muskie lake" in the area and is 11km long by 4 km at it's widest point. It has rocky shorelines interspersed with sandy beaches and is spring fed accounting for clear waters. There are highly productive weedbeds throughout the lake especially in the 2 large bays on each side of McConnell Point. Hotspots and fish magnets of the lake are rocky shoals and islands and one large sunken island towards the lake's east end. Main species to be caught are Pike, Walleye and Bass and the top Muskie area is a large sunken island in the middle of the lake.

No plagerism was used in this post as taken from the Guide. :lol:;)

:Gonefishing:

Nosbonsing isn't on the Hotspots Premium chip so I'm speculating that there isn't a government issued map. The adventure maps are probably the best you will find.

I'm heading up there in June for a pike tournament but have never been on the lake before. There are some big pike from what I hear.

If you are looking for accurate maps, the last resort would be the Queen's Printers. If the lake has been charted by the govt. it will be on file there.

Rockfish thanks for the info it's much appreciated

Tom thanks I'm starting to think that it may not be mapped.

Bigugli what is this the Queens Printers you speak of ? How would one contact them?

Fishin-nut Your alive!!!! No I haven't called Cooter yet I'll do that next week. Johnny if you can fit it into your busy schedule call me :Gonefishing:

Thank for the replies guys Rob

I've fished Nosbonsing several times. It's a decent lake, with some big muskie and pike. There are walleye around, but I found you have to work pretty hard for them, and there are a couple "small" local spots that seem to be best. There are two parts to the lake, and a smaller narrow that connects the two sections. The narrows is where most of the walleye fishing takes place.

When the fishing was slow, we fished it great lakes style with dipsies and boards, and did fairly well through the deep sections of the lake. As for muskie and pike, most guys just hit the shorlines with bucktails. We were using large plastics and slugos and did pretty good.

There's a public launch on the east end of the lake. It's pretty shallow through that area, so watch your boat. As for water colour, it's just the normal tanic colour you find up north.

Also, head to the west end of the lake, far west, and find the sunken island. That's a decent area to fish.

Queen's printers are the official printing service for the govt. Federal and provincial levels of govt each have their own document publication services.

Now that is a name I have not heard of for along time here. Bob and Emily Roots owned a rental area up there called Qua Qua camp. Very nice place to wake up early and hear the loons over the calm lake with the reflections of the evergreens tree upon the still waters. The most caught fish up there is grass pike and if you leave your lure dangle over the side of the boat, beware, 'cause the grass pike jump out of the water and will take your lure and rod if you are not abreast of the situation. The west side has alot of shallow areas with weeds abundant. This water warms up fast here and the smaller fish hide in here. At nightime, the walleye and bigger fish move in to feed. During the daylight hours they move back to the deeper water. Muskie are harder to catch and can be found in the deeper hole on the west side of the island. On the north side of the island is the channel with a small flow of water moving through here. This is the best fishing spot for walleye and also holds larger bass, pike and muskie. On the far east side of the lake is rocky shoals that hold alot of bass. You can troll along the east side of the island and you will always pick up fish there. The best lure I found to use up there in that lake is the dark green perch color, with the faded yellow line made by rapala (made to resemble a perch). Line poundage is tricky because if you stay with 10lb and under, you will catch alot of fish but when that muskie hits, well, er...um..., you can say goodbye to your lure when he plays dead, reaches the side of your boat and finally decides he has had enough fun with your lure and thrashes away in one huge wave of his tail. Visit the local pub and you will see one of the old trophy Muskies that was caught many years ago. One nice thing about fishing up there is you can even leave a minnow trap in the water overnight and have fresh bait in the morn' providing something doesn't beat you to it, lol. Hope this help and you enjoy your up there.

Archived