Welland River From Shore?

davincan

I have been reading in search of where to fish on the Welland River and although it seems to be a great place to fish, everything I have seen has been by boat. Does anyone know a good place along shore to fish with a couple of younglings?

Has anyone had any luck with pannies, bass, pike, eyes, etc from shore? Also happy to get into cats & carp. I'll be participating in the The Welland River Fisheries Angler Diary Program this summer so I'd like to have some data to contribute! :)

Along the upper river there are a couple of parks with shore access to fish from. It can be hit and miss but the entire river is like that. The park by the Welland airport. There is a community park in Wellanport. There is a whole stretch of north bank on the lower river in Chippewa with public access.

The key to bank fishing is getting your bait sitting on the slope of the dropoff. In the upper you are looking at an avg mean depth of 9-12ft. On the lower below the rail bridge, 25-35ft.

you could also go on the old canal, up by the humane society. there's lots to catch in there. some pretty big Bass in there. the aquaduct is cool too. caught some Drum there and there's Pike, Carp and others in there too. anywhere on the island there is good too.

Rich

Merritt Island. Then when the kids get board they hit the park. When I fish there if the bite is slow I simply walk across the park and fish the rec canal. Some nice largemouth there in the summer of course. lots of carp on both sides.

Archived