Chooks within Welland city limits?

After a trip to Vermeers to get our tomatoe and pepper plants (the unusually warm weather this year is getting me antsy to get everything planted) we went to Home Hardware (Welland) yesterday and Bill pointed out a noise he heard. Listening, I finally hear the distinct "Clock-a-doodle-doo".

We were kind of half joking we should get a couple laying hens and this little episode began to make me wonder. Are you allowed to raise chickens within the city limits of Welland?

Having roosters seems like it would be a bit of trouble what with the noise they make but having a couple of confined hens doesn't seem like it would be too much trouble. I have raised small numbers of chickens and turkeys before so I do have a bit of knowledge about it (Its amazing how strong a dozen 30lb plus turkeys can be when they are a tad hungry and pressing you into a corner....), have asked a couple neighbours with differing opinions on what the law is here in the city so I again ask from those with a bit more knowledge on the bylaws....is it legal?

Now I'm not saying I am going to do this but after looking at a couple of wheeled A-frame coop designs (tractor coops) it just makes me think......

Sory, a bit off topic but still kind of related to the conservation (of dollars and cents) and environmental (smell, noise, disease) issues, :blush: . Too many Wellanders on here not to take advantage of your wisdom and thoughts. :)

Ides and opinions are more then welcome.

------------

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/Article....aspx?e=2579246

Clucking for change to urban chicken-raising rules

AGRICULTURE: St. Catharines resident lobbying for backyard chickens

Posted By MONIQUE BEECH STANDARD STAFF

Updated 4 days ago

Urbanite Ian Watson has always dreamed of owning a hobby farm. Now, the St. Catharines man wants to bring the farm to him.

The 44-year-old brewmaster started a Facebook fan page calling on the City of St. Catharines to change its bylaw that regulates the keeping of animals and prohibits raising chickens in areas not zoned for livestock.

Currently, city rules ban backyard birds, but allow chickens to be kept inside residences in urban areas.

Watson, an avid gardener and local food supporter, has started clucking for change. After all, neighbouring Niagara Falls allows backyard chicken coops, as do at least four other Canadian communities.

Why not St. Catharines? Watson asked.

He said he doesn't understand why he can't raise chickens for their eggs while some of his neighbours keep pigeons or have loud, barking dogs in their yards.

"I think it's kind of funny that you can't have a chicken that just does the odd little cluck," said Watson, a beermaker with Niagara's Best Brewery and Pub in Niagara Falls. "We aren't asking for roosters or anything."

Bjorn Christensen, director of environmental health for Niagara's public health unit, said chickens are better suited to rural properties.

Over the years, the public health department has received a few complaints from Niagara Falls residents about foul smelling fowl in city neighbourhoods.

That city allows residents to keep up to 10 chickens in backyards.

"Rearing of chickens is something that, if there's very small numbers and it's done under very ideal conditions, it's not going to pose a health hazard," Christensen said.

"Certainly, they're an animal best suited for more of a rural area. If chicken coops aren't maintained, it can lead to things such as a rodent infestation. There could be odour problems."

Watson said he's done his research and believes as long as coops are regularly cleaned and there's only a few chickens, there's shouldn't be an odour problem.

Watson and his wife, Conni, only want two or three birds to raise for fresh eggs.

Occasionally, Watson gets a few farm-fresh eggs from a Niagara Falls farmer who receives leftover grains from Niagara's Best brewery.

Watson also has a friend in Ridgeville who raises his own birds.

"They taste much better than store-bought ones," Watson said of the eggs.

St. Catharines Mayor Brian McMullan said backyard birds are an idea worth exploring. In an e-mail to Watson, McMullan advised him to get in touch with his ward councillors to see if they're willing to suggest amending the city's bird bylaw.

McMullan said raising urban chickens seems to be a growing movement as people start to pay more attention to where their food comes from.

"I think more and more, we as municipalities are going to be asked to look at our bylaws and to see whether or not we can accommodate small-scale use in terms of chickens or rabbits," McMullan said.

The mayor said the issue would have to be carefully considered and needs public feedback.

"If it were to be permitted, I don't think there should be negative impacts on neighbouring properties," he said.

"I'm sure council would want to look at it from both sides."

The chicken backyard idea seems to be gaining steam. The issue came up in London, Ont., earlier this month, but council there shot down the idea.

Several chicken lovers in Toronto have been clucking for years to have that city's ban on backyard birds lifted.

More than 80 U.S. cities allow backyard chickens.

To learn more, check out Watson's Facebook fan page called Petition to allow chickens in St. Catharines

- - -

Where are backyardchickens allowed?

1. Niagara Falls

2. Brampton

3. Guelph

4. Victoria

5. Surrey, BC

Source: torontochickens.com

Article ID# 2579246

It's been on the news lately , both pro & con about chickens in the city to have your own fresh eggs . Some have said they will attract rats, stink , & are noisy . The good thing is fresh eggs & chicken which of course the big farms would not like..... loss of revenue . We get our big brown eggs from a couple in Welland but they live on the outskirts , not in a heavily housed area .Those eggs are far superior to store bought ! Most large store meat-poultry food we consume is not quality food.....like MacDonalds South American beef .....garbage !

I live in the middle of St. Catharines. I had 4 laying hens for 3 years. I thought it important that my children see were they come from. If you wish to pursue something like this it is most important to know your neighbours more than you know the law.

I live in the middle of St. Catharines. I had 4 laying hens for 3 years. I thought it important that my children see were they come from. If you wish to pursue something like this it is most important to know your neighbours more than you know the law.

Nailed it. I have a couple of hens myself and my neighbors are completely cool with it otherwise I would not have them. Eggs are vasty superior to store bought and my grass has never looked so good on account of all the scratching and fertilizer. They are also very cool pets. Kids love them too.

I have coyotes and no fences. Neighbours are great but all the people walking buy are not. I'm really not closed in enough. I want to move outside the urban boundry but my Wife won't do well water or internet without cable etc etc

Archived