Crystal Beach Spring Perch

chevy

most times I start in around 40 ft then out to 50-60.its about 2-3 miles out

we stopped at 90 .didn't feel like cleaning 100 perch lol

THANKS Shevy!

I really wanted to go there this weekend ... well I will go in 2 weeks.

My fishing buddy is almost 60 years old. For him it's a challenge to go 2-3 miles into the lake and back.

How thick the ice is in there? I mean 2-3 miles into the lake.

How far into the lake would be possible to drive by car?

If it's close to 2 miles and later 1 mile of walk. It may work for us.

I have 4 wheel drive.

Is any "ice taxi" service to those locations?

Do you have to use minnows strictly?

Or jigs & plastics will work also?

THANKS Shevy!

I really wanted to go there this weekend ... well I will go in 2 weeks.

My fishing buddy is almost 60 years old. For him it's a challenge to go 2-3 miles into the lake and back.

How thick the ice is in there? I mean 2-3 miles into the lake.

How far into the lake would be possible to drive by car?

If it's close to 2 miles and later 1 mile of walk. It may work for us.

I have 4 wheel drive.

Is any "ice taxi" service to those locations?

Do you have to use minnows strictly?

Or jigs & plastics will work also?

I fished from Point Abino about 3 miles out in 50 FOW. Took us one hour to walk while pulling the clam behind us, by the time we set up it was 9:00 am. Lots of good quality fish out there, managed to catch 40 fish over 8” in about 5 hours. Fish are biting very lightly, minnows on a two way hook rig was the key. Drilling a hole was a nightmare due to ice thickness unless you have a power auger. Here are two pictures from Saturday, enjoy...

FortErie-20140208-00020_zpse71c0929.jpgFortErie-20140208-00013_zps10e0b750.jpg

I fished from Point Abino about 3 miles out in 50 FOW. Took us one hour to walk while pulling the clam behind us, by the time we set up it was 9:00 am. Lots of good quality fish out there, managed to catch 40 fish over 8” in about 5 hours. Fish are biting very lightly, minnows on a two way hook rig was the key. Drilling a hole was a nightmare due to ice thickness unless you have a power auger. Here are two pictures from Saturday, enjoy...

Hmm You've invented new ice-fishing discipline for next Olimpic games.

Let's call it extreme ice fishing.

I've invented cross country skiing with ice fishing. Once I skied 5 miles into Simcoe lake.

6 americans were sitting in ice huts. They were making photographs of me shown up out of nowhere.

Wow. You guys have so thick ice. I saw few lakes north, where truck cleans most of snow, making ice road.

My quess your snow is quite densed now.

Is anybody drive there?

Also each fisherman's community has it's own tricks.

I never heart about two way hook rig. What is it?

you would be have to be crazy to drive a vehicle out there.. first of all you have the pressure crack to cross, then a very rough ride for another few kms... I did see a golf cart out there last time out. Mostly atvs and the odd sled. When you pull a portable or even a sled behind you there's a good chance something will fall out or break...it's that rough. The thickness is almost 3 feet but its shove ice which has much less strength than solid ice. Even after you drill all the way through you need a bar to push the chunks away that are floating under the ice...

Archived