Free Cutbait!

Catfish

At the boat launch at the mouth of the forty mile creek there is a ton of shad dying. Easy to catch with a net, i had to grab them with my hands lol. Probably good cut bait for the cats coming in soon.

They are dying everywhere along the shorelines. Picked up some today as well. I do believe they are alewives though not Shad.

I think you are right, can be hard to tell the difference but I think these are alewife as well.

Can't use these as live bait, but I think it's safe to use as cutbait? I hope so, because I'm going for Cat's tomorrow and these are easy to grab right now.

The alewives usually come in after the smelt run and die off . Years ago Lake Ontario beaches were thick with stinking alewives .....we called them shiners back in the "old days" . I didn't think the smelt run has peaked yet ? I also heard the oil from the alewives could be burned and used for light or fuel for cooking......Anyone have any pictures of them ?

Ya I talked to as local Who's been fishing the shore for years and he said they die off like This every 3-4 years. Not sure how Accurate that is but that's what I hear.

As for the cut bait I hope they work well. I have over 2 dozen in the freezer right now. Hopefully they work as well as the suckers have been doing for me.

Scooped up quite a few on Saturday morning trolling between Weller and Jordan..great alternative cut-bait for salmon/trout.. and it's free!..just preserve/clean and cure properly.. and you can save quite a few bucks during the summer..especially when they're HOT for it..(going through 2 packs of strips a day can get costly after a while)..kinda like losing 2 spoons or 2 bodybaits every time you go out..

It's better to brine them before you freeze them, litre of water, cup of salt, half cup of powdered milk, let the strips/chunks soak in the fridge overnight.

Adding powdered milk ? What does the milk do for preserving them ? I have a glass salinometer which measures the % of salt in water . If a solution of 100% saturation is required keep adding salt to warm water until some salt remains on the bottom . Maybe try bagging & freezing the fillets while still wet will keep them from drying out too much . I did some minnows that way and so far they seem good to go .

Archived