RESPECTING "OUR" FISHERIES AND SURROUNDINGS

Big Minnow

Not a smelt fisher at all, but after talking to a couple of friends of mine who were heading down to Queenston, I thought it might be a cool experience out with the boys for something I hadn't seen since I was a kid. I called my parents before we went and asked if they would be interested in any, since I remembered them eating them as a child, they were pretty caught off guard at the fact we were actually going down to get some smelt and said that they would take maybe a half of a small bucket if we got some. Upon our arrival to the docks I was astounded to see how many people were out. On the way down I noticed vans full of rubbermaid garbage bins, walking a little closer I realized they were all full to the brim with smelt, 8 bins in one van alone! How many of these things can you eat? Where are they going? So the more I walk the more I see recycling bins, garbage bags, buckets upon buckets, not to mention the parking lot covered in the ones that fell out. We get to the rivers edge and stop to watch the happenings before we start the game. To my amazement, and that's an understatement believe me, there was a stream of garbage flowing 15ft in front of me. Pop cans, water bottles, garbage bags, grocery bags, cigarette packages, boxes and tins of things that were written in a foreign language. I was overwhelmed to the point I almost became sick! I fish this drift and many others on the upper and lower Niagara, and have never ever seen this kind of debacle any where. So I start trying to grab everything I can out of the water that was swirling in a little back eddy by the dock. As my friends are fishing away with some luck I stand and watch with hopes for them. That's when I lost my mind completely!! After I picked up this garbage a minute ago a gentleman, no way, I'm not calling him that, a piece of #$% is more the appropriate terminology, starts throwing all his garbage into the drink. Enraged I ask him what the blank do you think your doing? With a stupid look on his face, in broken english, he tells me that people get mad at them when they leave their trash on the shore, and try's to tell me it's my trash anyway!! How do I not lose my mind on all of these clowns??? I am not racist in anyway at all, I probably have friends of more different ethnic decent than anyone around, but something must be done about this, immediately!! Just because you have turned your country into a cesspool of disgusting pollution and filth, "WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO DO IT TO OURS"? These people are the lowest, filthiest, most unethical bread I have ever seen. Again not painting them all with the same brush, but someone of their own ethnic descent better go down and have a word with these abusers before things get out of hand. People will not sit by and watch this continue and I am scared at what will happen next. This so called "tipping" thing might be a light punishment if some others I know might happen to see this. And what ever happens these people are fully deserving of any act against them.

very easy to handle, report them to the police for littering and call the MNR im sure they would love to fine those goof balls, i myself am not so friendly as soon as he would have said its my garbage he would have eatin a right cross and than maybe "tipped" into the water lol that last part is a joke though the cross on the other hand is not

Its hard not to paint brushes, and I know you are not trying, but in a way you are. I am wondering if the garbage floating everywhere is a result of the water being raised a week ago and all the shore garbage being taken down river. As for the folks throwing garbage in the water, I would of given them a piece of my mind as well. The best thing you can do is make them feel as stupid and uncomfortable as possible and hopefully they will leave...I've made people look like idiots just by walking over and picking up the garbage they had discarded. I haven't ever called or reported anyone as I'm not sure who to call in the first place. Not sure if the MNR has authority over littering or not...either way you should be commended for speaking up...not many people will. Just try not to stereotype, as there may be members of this board who would not like to hear some of what you said.

i wonder if this will get the lock

Lets hope not, he's only saying what alot are thinking. It should be brought up for discussion. Trying to hide the facts is pure silliness.

That said, I'm sure the MNR and cops have more interesting things to do than garbage patrol.

This happens every single year, this is just the first year you've witnessed it first hand.

The only way you will fix this problem is to have a volunteer brigade of "citizens on patrol" who patrol the area 24/7 and start doing things like checking licences and educating them on why littering is bad. You have to take ownership of it, for the duration of the smelt run. Theres nothing saying that you can't check a fellows licence as a member of the general public. Just don't impersonate a CO, that would be bad.

Otherwise, its the tragedy of the commons.. Since noone is taking ownership of the resource, it will just continue to get plundered with an attitude of "If I don't take my keep and more, those damn others will."

I don't like litter.

Did you call the TIPS line?

This makes me sick to my stomach too guys. As long as the white hoods don't come out it will stay.

"Those people" I assume are the ones that were fishing there at that time. Keep it at that and no locky locky

As far as a truckload of fish goes , it's legal . Take as many as you can truck out ....when I was a kid the farmers scattered them around trees for fertilizer & you could smell them a mile away ! Fishing has changed over the years but no change in smelt fishing . I wouldn't be surprised if these fish show up on the markets somewhere ,so there's some easy cash to make , but hard to prove or too expensive for the mnr to persue . The garbage issue.....well , there are people on this planet who don't know any better ....they wallow in their own filth and don't seem to be able to see that others around them keep their surroundings clean . I've seen filth in many places of all races and have headed for the nearest water to wash my hands after touching one 's door knob ! These were white people . If I was to toss a bunch of food wrappers etc. on the sidewalk in front of a cop , would he charge me ? I think I know the answer to that one ! Therefore , why couldn't a cop be called and charge a group of people who litter ? Maybe a group of people could go there and do some video taping , but I'm sorry to say I don't think you would see a court prosecution handed out in this case.......I cannot stand to go there for smelts anymore , too hard on the stomach . Take lots of pics guys ...it is intiminating but might help ......

Anyone think a limit should be imposed on smelts like they have on minnows.......thankfully......?

5 lbs per licenced person sounds good....... :)

Another alternative is to post a sign saying NO FISHING ....within 30 meters of the ramp for better safety for boaters . I think that would keep most of that area a lot cleaner .

Well they are an invasive species in a way. They were introduced and they are the reason they stocked king salmon in Lake O. They wanted to get rid of the smelts and alewives ....... so a little birdy told me :)

Well they are an invasive species in a way. They were introduced and they are the reason they stocked king salmon in Lake O. They wanted to get rid of the smelts and alewives ....... so a little birdy told me :)

but werent smelts native too the ottawa valley area?

Cleo , I don't believe a fisherman can demand to see anothers' licence , only a co or cop . Many years ago we had deputy game wardens who I believed worked part time . It would be good to have some of them in Niagara . Places like Port Colborne , Dunnville or Fort Erie etc would have one or two who would patrol their area and be paid from the fines collected ! Jobs are still being lost & many more to come with government cuts ( 2 jobs gone in my family this week) . As anglers & hunters , we can keep our eyes peeled & get evidence by noting plate numbers & taking pictures if possible . The government people don't seem to care much about our environment these days , and that's a shame.

True yes I was just implying that people needed to be hanging around there at all times, being proactive about guarding the place rather than reactive.

The sad part is it needs to be done 24/7, and no one has that kind of time.

By being proactive, I mean like when you get to the basketball court with your friends at the playground, before anyone else. You therefore have unofficial ownership of the court until you leave. Ppl walk by, see the courts being used, and continue on.

Deputy game wardens sounds good.. Like a deputy Sherriff.. Like Dwight Schrute.

dwight_schrute.jpg

You do have to see it to believe it... I went last few years and tried to get a spot, not worth the hassle. Cops were called last year and nothing was done they just came down and watched, they said the didn't check fishing liscenses... I give up let em ruin it!

You do have to see it to believe it... I went last few years and tried to get a spot, not worth the hassle. Cops were called last year and nothing was done they just came down and watched, they said the didn't check fishing liscenses... I give up let em ruin it!

no comment!

I do agree with some of your ideas. I just wonder what kind of confrontation will come of any picture taking or license noting. Not that in anyway I would be worried, just think might be far out numbered on any particular evening. As I said I really never go fishing for this species, all thought I fish for every other one, but can someone tell me off hand if you indeed need a license to dip net smelt? I also am wondering if these fisher people do any other angling throughout the year, and where? I know its been said that talk is cheap, but seriously something needs to be done about this problem.

And yes, this is the first time I have experienced this recklessness first hand. What a shame. Especially for the real anglers out there who try to do everything to preserve our environment for future generations to enjoy. When are you anglers planning on this swill, I would love to come up with a game plan for next year.

Maybe a bunch of us should go down there early one night and line the shore not giving any of the usual people down there a place to fish.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting.

Then you could pop 'em right in the kisser with that "disturbing an angler in the act of fishing" mumbo jumbo.

- Set up a trail cam (normally used for deer), with a large memory card. Get lots of evidence that way.

- Go down and start videotaping their actions, and then sharing the videotape with news outlets or just make a youtube sensation out of their environmental destruction.

Either way, the littering must stop.

Is there a limit on the amount of smelt a person can take? Tubs of smelt is obviously not for personal use but is there a limit in the regs that they are breaking?

Is there a limit on the amount of smelt a person can take? Tubs of smelt is obviously not for personal use but is there a limit in the regs that they are breaking?

View page 12 of 95 in the pdf

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/286927.pdf

No limit

also GENERAL PROHIBITIONS – IT IS ILLEGAL TO:

• Sell any recreationally-caught fish, crayfish, leeches, frogs, fish

eggs or spawn. Only holders of commercial fishing and commercial

bait licences may sell their catch.

I hate to see this happening every where lately....For the fact that i know some Chinese (Sorry to someone if u feel so offended..) sell the smelts for 25 bucks per 5 gallons bucket....I wish one day those people got caught and get the big fine enough to make them broke....Also we dont have alot of shore fishing spots left because of them..... :)

The persons race has nothing to do with his throwing garbage in the water or on the ground. Stupidity and ignorance knows no bounds. It's rampant the world wide. For you to sit here and say he threw garbage on the ground because of the colour of his skin is just as stupid as him doing it in the first place.

A lot of people here really need to think first about what makes this country great compared to a melting pot like the US.

All ranting aside, I will restate my main point: Stupidity and ignorance knows no bounds. The colour of these peoples skin or countries of origin have absolutely no affect on their decision to litter. It is ignorance alone. I applaud the OP for saying something, but I am quite disappointed by the other ignorance, which is racism, displayed in these posts. All we can do is educate and help remove the mess ourselves until others become educated and stop making the mess in the first place. It will never go away fully but if people don't say things and help out, it will only get worse.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting.

Then you could pop 'em right in the kisser with that "disturbing an angler in the act of fishing" mumbo jumbo.

- Set up a trail cam (normally used for deer), with a large memory card. Get lots of evidence that way.

- Go down and start videotaping their actions, and then sharing the videotape with news outlets or just make a youtube sensation out of their environmental destruction.

Either way, the littering must stop.

Yes lets do that, and then they'll close down the queenston boat launch for everyone. good thinking

garbage is dumped by everyone, playing the racist is getting old.

if your going to go down there and set up cameras make sure to post area under video servalance or it cant be used to prosecute.

Archived