Rattlesnake Article

PickerelHunter

I've heard that there have been reports of people seeing or hearing rattlesnakes at the G12 area, so I found this article about the snake and what to do. Anyone that ventures to wooded and seldom used areas to fish should have at least a little bit of knowledge about them.

Ontario Rattlesnake Article

i've only ever ran into one at the 12 mile, right at the bottom of snake hil (go figure, eh?... known as zig zag hill aswell).... by reading that article it's definately not something to worry about too much, atleast imo

My passed Rottweiler was barking at a snake under my apple tree a few years back and it was a whopper ! It's tail was vibrating and I thought I had a rattlesnake on my hands . I caught it using a "Y" branch , and put it a 5 gal. pail with glass on top and made a phone call to the animal shelter ,and they said to describe all the markings, and said I had a milk snake . I took it way out in Pelham to a big culvert with a small creek and released it . So, it's easy to mistake the I.D. of a milksnake or rattlesnake . Here's a pic of a rattlesnake ,followed by the milksnake . We do have some rattlesnakes in Niagara (Wainfleet bog) There used to be some in the Jordan Hollow and the Niagara Gorge , but they may be extinct now.

Rattlesnake

massassauga.jpg

Milksnake

Milk%20snake.jpg

If I ever ran into a rattlesnake, I would be the guy coiled up, wrapped in a ball sobbing uncontrollably!  I am petrified of all snakes.  One phobia I just cannot shake.

29717[/snapback]

Hey.....ya gotta live on the edge sometimes.......How would YOU ........like to ......help this little itsy bitsy kid give his little pet a bath ? You could brush it's teeth while the little boy shampoos him. :)

snake%20bath.jpg

If I ever ran into a rattlesnake, I would be the guy coiled up, wrapped in a ball sobbing uncontrollably!  I am petrified of all snakes.  One phobia I just cannot shake.

29717[/snapback]

I'd be the girl coiled up, same description as you, or running like a gazelle (even in my advanced years....god, they're creepy.

Guest fishstick

29717[/snapback]

You shouldn't be. I have a 2-3ft ball python, which will grow to around 5-6ft. This is the most docile pet I have ever seen. It will hiss at you when you try to pick it up, but all I do is let it smell my nose and face with it's tongue, (that's how they smell) and it's fine. It'll just slither around, peck at my ears or try to sneak under a towel or whatever is lying around. I feed it a hopper mouse once every 2 weeks, mist the tank, and let it be......

My snake is not aggressive, but there are some that are. The trick, buy it when it's really small, and always let it smell your scent right before feeding time.

I'll try to post a pic sometime soon. Truly, they are harmless if taken care of.

My grandfather told me he caught a few rattlers when he was young, he's passed away now, but I guess there used to be lots 60-70 years ago around here.

Hey fishstick not to scare ya but I had a Boa for a few years was nice let him crawl around me, he had his own bedroom till one day the sucker bit me. I got rid of it very shortly I couldn't trust it, it was only half grown at around 4 feet. Just be careful with it around your face man, never know what a wild animal can do.

Like Max said they are still in the bog in wainfleet. Each spring they go in and do a count to see the survuval rate.

My father found a nest in the hollow of a tree once along Chippawa creek while we were fishing about 30 or so yrs ago and called the proper authorities and it was taken care of as it was a popular fishing spot. There have been reports of them being seen around the beaverdams area of lake Gibson but most of those reports turn out to be water or milk snakes. They are still reported to be in the gorge but none have been sighted for years.

A friend of my father in-laws was doing work in wainfleet last year, he drove through a field of long grass and on the way back out they had come out and laaid down in the tire ruts to get sun. Rattlers are still around, but I hope I don't see one. If by chance I do, I think I might have a new muskie bait, but this one will bite back! :)

wouldnt wanna run into any snake that big haha. Which one is it with 2 thin red stripes and a yellow stripe, i know garders have yellow stripes but i saw a baby one with two thing red lines along it? is it just and odly coloured garder snake or is it just my eyes going wacko haha. :)

I've been collecting snakes for many years now and had both venemous and non-venemous species in my collections. So I do have a fair amount of knowledge about them. 1st off snakes make great pets but never trust them around around your face a bite on the nose can be pretty brutal never mind triing to pick the teeth out afterwards. Secondly I have volenteered with the m.n.r for their eastern massassagua conservation where they walk through the wainfleet bog and put radio tramsmitters in the snakes they do find and the last i heard there is approx. 40 rattlers in the whole entire bog although i have only ever found one. And third after working in a local pet shop a few years ago we received alot of calls about rattler sightings but 100% of the time they have been milksnakes. Milks will rattle their tail on ground litter such as leaves which confuses people and prey to think that they are rattle snakes and with their close appearence usually works. And last but not least the last documented proven sighting of a rattler in the gorge was in like 1945 but it was a timber rattler whtch are now extinct in ontario. Also they have found a few fox snakes in the niagra region this year which also resemble the rattler. Hope this helps anyones fears of rattlesnakes in the niagara region. However if you in the bruce penninsula to parry sound thats a whole other story.

niagarafisher

Archived