Fall Fishing

Ants_12

Hello All! My name is Anthony and I'll be attending my first year at Brock University in St. Catherines. I was surfing the net when I came across this site and I think it is just an awesome communication board and site. I'm originally from Huntsville, Muskoka and I have fished all over central, and Northern Ontario. I have been fly-fishing for the past 7 years and was wondering if anyone could help me or direct me to some close by rivers that offer good fall slamon and/or spring trout fly-fishing or float fishing.

Guest bigfish1965

Luckily you are moving to the best fall fishing area in the province. Whatever you are after, there are trophies here each fall.

St Catharines is in the heart of some fantastic salmon and trout fishing. AS well trophy bass, walleye and musky are to be had in the Niagara River.

There really are just so many places to mention that you couldn't list them all.

I will suggest starting at the Whirlpool just because it is the most fun place to catch a fish.

Thanks bigfish1965, It's good to hear the fall fishing is strong, that alone gives me a lot more to look forward to moving into St. Catherine's. I did come across the map posted with direction to the whirlpool, and it definitely looks like a sweet spot. I'm also wondering about 12 mile creek which runs through St. Catherine's, it looks like a strong river any good spots along it??

12 mile creek, nope.... the fish can't get up the falls at Port Dalhousie, however you can fish at port dalhousie for trout/salmon....

The onld welland canal is another place to fish.... see the "pike in port dalhousie" thread (i think that's the name of it, it has 5 pages of posts in it- the directions are there, if you want i have a map i can send you of how to get there aswell)...

Jordan Harbour is also a spot, but there's heavy heavy traffic there and it seems that alot of the the people fishing don't want to give you "room" when you hook a fish (that can be said for all the places tho)....

BTW- it's St. CathArines, not St. CathErines..... sorry had to :Gonefishing:

Queenston is a good place to shore fish has a good drift .i use a 10/.5 ft noodlle rod bottom bouncing streemer flys they work well when done right ...got a 18/lb bow last year there....tie my own streemers also

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

And Fullofgas knows how to do it. I was on the river last fall when I heard about this guy that caught 7 or was it 9 Steelhead in a mornin and know one else was catching a thing.

Thanks for all the replies, you guys have been awesome!!

Thanks alot for the invite fullofgas, as well I tie my own flies and I'd love to come and meet with you sometime to see your work. I'm still in Muskoka and I won't be back down to St. CathArines till the second week in Sept. (when school starts) If we could meet up sometime then that would be great.

thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nippaditty
Thanks for all the replies, you guys have been awesome!!

Thanks alot for the invite fullofgas, as well I tie my own flies and I'd love to come and meet with you sometime to see your work. I'm still in Muskoka and I won't be back down to St. CathArines till the second week in Sept. (when school starts) If we could meet up sometime then that would be great.

thanks again

504[/snapback]

Ants

Fly fishing can be a little different then what you might be use to. It's not like the Grand river. There is a massive amount of water moving there. I would suggest Very High D line. A ten weight rod and lots of backing on your reel. As for the lures. If you use streamers you most likely will end up with some big Lake Trout. Big Nymphs and Egg sacks ( imatation ) work good on the Steelhead. As for the Salmon,, don't know,, never went for them. Hope this helps. ;)

Ants........Believe me fish the whirl pool...............I think you'd do better with a spinning rod and reel thought.............middle of sept. is perfect..........I fish there year after year..........5-8 fish days common.........that fishing is second only to spring salmon at the mouth..............I'll help you with the set-up if you need it...........when the leaves start to change color it's time to fish the pool...........jhm

Guest nippaditty
Ants........Believe me fish the whirl pool...............I think you'd do better with a spinning rod and reel thought.............middle of sept. is perfect..........I fish there year after year..........5-8 fish days common.........that fishing is second only to spring salmon at the mouth..............I'll help you with the set-up if you need it...........when the leaves start to change color it's time to fish the pool...........jhm

631[/snapback]

Newbie,, I'm not sure you understand.

Asking a flyfisherman to use a spinning rod is like asking him to put sticks in his eyes. I'm sure your right about the fishing and where to fish,, but Fyfisherman like to catch fish on that "wand". It's like bow hunting is to hunting.

Your right ,, it is easier with spinning rods,, but I have caught fish with the Fly rod in the Lower Niagara. ;)

Newbie,, I'm not sure you understand.

Asking a flyfisherman to use a spinning rod is like asking him to put sticks in his eyes.  I'm sure your right about the fishing and where to fish,, but Fyfisherman like to catch fish on that "wand". It's like bow hunting is to hunting.

Your right ,, it is easier with spinning rods,, but I have caught fish with the Fly rod in the Lower Niagara.  ;)

637[/snapback]

Sticks in the eyes.........lol.............ouch.........I understand maybe bring a second rod(spinning rod) then.........I usually start fishing at 4:30am and cast glow spoons then when the sun comes up I go to skeen...............night fishing with glow spoons is great and alot of fun most of my fish where caught in the dark last year..........IMPORTANT.....for best fishing get there as the sun comes up ...........at around 7:30-8:00am the water level in the gorge rises about 15ft and the current gets really strong........you can still get fish but the bite is really over...........I have a friend who uses a noodle rod and spinning reel and does really well down there.........QUESTION is a noodle rod more sensitive then a spinning reel.........If you go with a friend bring a camara it's beautiful down there and makes for great fish pictures............anyways get ther early you'll get fish............JHM

Guest nippaditty
Sticks in the eyes.........lol.............ouch.........I understand maybe bring a second rod(spinning rod) then.........I usually start fishing at 4:30am and cast glow spoons then when the sun comes up I go to skeen...............night fishing with glow spoons is great and alot of fun most of my fish where caught in the dark last year..........IMPORTANT.....for best fishing get there as the sun comes up ...........at around 7:30-8:00am the water level in the gorge rises about 15ft and the current gets really strong........you can still get fish but the bite is really over...........I have a friend who uses a noodle rod and spinning reel and does really well down there.........QUESTION is a noodle rod more sensitive then a spinning reel.........If you go with a friend bring a camara it's beautiful down there and makes  for great fish pictures............anyways get ther early you'll get fish............JHM

641[/snapback]

>QUESTION is a noodle rod more sensitive then a spinning reel. < ;)

I never really understood this?. They make stiff rods for Bass fishing so that you can feel the slightest pick up. Yet the noodle rod is softer than most rods. What I think is that the noodle rod has less resistance to the pick up, so the trout do not feel it as much and hang on longer to the bait,, until you put the bone in it. Fly rod has those same characteristics.

A noodle rod has a soft slow action that is designed to allow big fish to be fought on lite line. The rod acts as a big shock absorber to take the hard runs and abuse away from the light line. It's not really about being more sensitive. I've never used mine any way but float fishing eggs, not quite as effective as a float rod/center pin, but it certainly gets the job done.

Apart from that, what is it exactly with the elitism that seems to go along with some fly fishermen? I fish with whatever tactic is the most effective presentation for the conditions. If that is fly fishing then I use a fly rod, if it is float fishing then I use my noodle, if it is bottom bouncing then I use a slinky and yarn fly or egg sack on a long (10') medium action spinning rod.

It isn't so much a comparison between bow hunting and other types of hunting as it is a comparison between "traditional" archers and those of us that use compounds. There is a faction amongst the "traditional" archers that looks down on compound bows, condesendingly referring to the cam)s) as "training wheels" and that sort of thing.

Self rightous fly fishing only types are almost as annoying, but that's fine, whip the water to a froth with your buggy whip under the wrong conditions and I'll be perfectly happy catching fish on an effective method right next to you.

Ok, I'm better now ;)

Tim

A noodle rod has a soft slow action that is designed to allow big fish to be fought on lite line.  The rod acts as a big shock absorber to take the hard runs and abuse away from the light line.  It's not really about being more sensitive.  I've never used mine any way but float fishing eggs, not quite as effective as a float rod/center pin, but it certainly gets the job done.

Apart from that, what is it exactly with the elitism that seems to go along with some fly fishermen?  I fish with whatever tactic is the most effective presentation for the conditions.  If that is fly fishing then I use a fly rod, if it is float fishing then I use my noodle, if it is bottom bouncing then I use a slinky and yarn fly or egg sack on a long (10') medium action spinning rod.

It isn't so much a comparison between bow hunting and other types of hunting as it is a comparison between "traditional" archers and those of us that use compounds.  There is a faction amongst the "traditional" archers that looks down on compound bows, condesendingly referring to the cam)s) as "training wheels" and that sort of thing. 

Self rightous fly fishing only types are almost as annoying, but that's fine, whip the water to a froth with your buggy whip under the wrong conditions and I'll be perfectly happy catching fish on an effective method right next to you.

Ok, I'm better now  ;)

Tim

645[/snapback]

Well said Tim.............I'm for catching fish myself...........time of year and weather play a huge role in my fishing techniques.............with that being said I just got back from bying a noodle rod...........weather pending I'll be trying it tonight at Port Dal. ..........heard their getting a few..........JHM

Guest nippaditty
A noodle rod has a soft slow action that is designed to allow big fish to be fought on lite line.  The rod acts as a big shock absorber to take the hard runs and abuse away from the light line.  It's not really about being more sensitive.  I've never used mine any way but float fishing eggs, not quite as effective as a float rod/center pin, but it certainly gets the job done.

Apart from that, what is it exactly with the elitism that seems to go along with some fly fishermen?  I fish with whatever tactic is the most effective presentation for the conditions.  If that is fly fishing then I use a fly rod, if it is float fishing then I use my noodle, if it is bottom bouncing then I use a slinky and yarn fly or egg sack on a long (10') medium action spinning rod.

It isn't so much a comparison between bow hunting and other types of hunting as it is a comparison between "traditional" archers and those of us that use compounds.  There is a faction amongst the "traditional" archers that looks down on compound bows, condesendingly referring to the cam)s) as "training wheels" and that sort of thing. 

Ok, I'm better now  :angry2:

Tim

645[/snapback]

OK,, so you are a meat fisherman,,is this correct ??. The only snobbish thing about flyfishing is by those who perceive it as such,, and those that can't do it. If you read the post ,, it isn't me that asked about the Flyfishing. It was Ants 12 and I happen to share the passion for the sport also. I was just answering his questions.

As for the Noodle rod,, I'm sure you are correct in how it is used and it's function. I also guessed as to why they use noodle rods. I don't use one. But I assume it's like a Flyrod seeing they use the Flyrod blank to make them.

On the other hand I didn't put you ( or anyone else ) down because you use "noodle rods". There are some people who would rather flyfish then other forms of fishing and it has nothing to do with catching the most ,, biggest or Better fish. It's being outdoors and enjoying nature. The fish are secondary perks.

I also bow hunt and use a compound, but I started out with an Re-curve 30 years ago. It's just choices on what and how you want to spend your time doing what you love to do,, that's all.

So please put away your testosterone. ;)

Ants........Believe me fish the whirl pool...............I think you'd do better with a spinning rod and reel thought.............middle of sept. is perfect..........I fish there year after year..........5-8 fish days common.........that fishing is second only to  spring salmon at the mouth..............I'll help you with the set-up if you need it...........when the leaves start to change color it's time to fish the pool...........jhm

631[/snapback]

What do you get this time of year? Salmon or also bows, browns and lakers?

Isn't it a bit too early? ;)

Cougar..........Yes.......It may be early yet this year...... but year after year I start fishing the whirlpool........2nd week of sept. ............I'll be out throwing my glow spoons and skeen bright and early this morning..........I'll post a report this afternoon.........I think the weather might hurt the fishing this morning.........all the rain might make for murky water.........the kid working at Pete's Tackle said the odd fish is coming out of the whirlpool already...........and their getting good numbers by boat drifting casting by the pier night fishing in port dal. ........white green glow spoons ..........ohya.........I only fish for salmon in the whirlpool..........Well with a little luck I'll have something good to report..................JHM.............

Archived