Crayfish?

RoeBaggin

Where are some good spots for catching some crayfish? I tried looking around the Avondale Ice cream dairy but the streams are really low. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in the St. Catharines area.

Thanks and tight lines!

Roebaggin

after a couple windy days at the beach at Lakeside Park/Port D...all the weeds that get blown up on shore are just full of them..perfect little ones for fishing..you can get buckets loads if ya scour the beach...otherwise if you know other spots where you can get em at times..I just go on a little walk and start flippin over rocks thatare on a sandy or muddy bottom.

Little trick too...if the ones you are getting are all hard shells....if you keep them in a fish tank with a heater, and crank up the heat...this makes them molt after a couple days...then you will have a bunch of ready to fish with soft-shells ;)

Guest canadadude

I made a screen using an old landing net !!!!!! Just run the screen along the bottom and through the weeds,I ussually get a dozen or more with every dip!!! It don't take long to get enough for a days fishing, any shallow pond with mud and weeds is ideal they should be poping out soon with these warm days!!! I never try for them untill Bass Opens so I really don't know if theres much around yet! :)

I catch them at my cottage (lake Erie/Sundusk river) I just go along the rocky bank with a small dip net. I get a stick with some line on it and tie a really tiny hook on it. Then dig some worms. Put a little piece on the hook and leave it in the sun for a while. It gets caked on thier pretty good, then go down to the river and dip the worm into little holes inbetween the rocks. They grab onto the worm and they usually are so focased on eating they dont realize they have been yanked out of their hole and scooped out with a net. Yesterday when i was up their i caught one that was red? It might have just gotten some of the colour of the rusty metal coat hanger it was under? Anyway it takes a while at my cottage because the crayfish population isnt very high, but if you can find a good spot, its not a bad method.

crayfish.jpg

Archived